cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pressured into a 3rd Generation Hub

akhibhrat58
Joining in

I am a UK VM customer (broadband, tv & phone - i don't use either of the latter 2) and i received a call last night asking me to upgrade my router, i'm on the 2 series currently, they wanted me to get version 3.

To start with, the cost was about £60 for post and packaging of the router and then another £9.99 a month to upgrade to 350mb/s.

I have heard nothing but bad things about the Hub 3, including it having NAT issues on Xbox and being locked down to prevent you using it for certain things. I'm also not overly keen on being a personal hotspot for people, not sure if that is event the case but that is how i read it.

I listened to him politely and then said that i was happy to stick with what i had, thanked him for the call and was about to hang up. He interrupted me and said that he had a new offer, which was that i could have the hub for free, other than the postage. I still said no.

He then got a bit more aggressive, telling me that he was my account manager and that i've been using 1000gb a month for the past 3 months and that i didn't upgrade i'd be hit with fair usage policy. I stream a lot of Neflix/Amazon Prime and NowTV, as well as downloading games, so i don't think 1000gb per month is that bad, RDR2 was about 80gb on its own.

I think VM are miles ahead of BT and anyone else in terms of the internet but i feel a bit aggrieved that i have to pay for a phone line that i have never ever used in 7 years and TV that gets switched on about once a month. This pressure though made me wonder if i could do without the broadband and just move back to BT.

I couldn't get rid of him, so stupidly I told him i'd have a think about it and for him to ring me back this evening. Where do I stand and has anyone else had this? If so, how did they deal with it.

3 REPLIES 3

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Well its all a bit of a lie say you been using 1000gb a month to get you to go hub 3 means nothing if you do 1000gb a month with the hub 3.

Until VM post here that they really EOL the hubs with 8 channels down just keep using it and if you do go for a new hub and don't like it you can put it in modem mode with your own router.

---------------------------------------------------------------

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If it aint broke, dont try and fix it just say no thanks and goodnight. VM downloads are unlimited (for normal users) they only get shirty with the 24hr downloaders and torrent users

Hub3 upgrades are free by the way - oh he saved that little gem up his sleeve did he? Speaks volumes, see...

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/hub-swap.html?buspart=uk_app_connect2_hubswap

If you are out of contract you might consider renegotiating your deal to a BB only one - but they do give discounts to BB & Phone - its always cheaper than BB alone! But you will certainly be paying more even with just the basic TV pack. They will want you to sign a new 18 month contract though.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

HI akhibhrat58 thanks for posting and welcome to our community.

I am sorry to hear of your experience with our outbound teams.  I would like to have a closer look at this on your behalf.  I am going to send you a private message.

Regards

Lee_R