cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prepull delays & confusion

kieronapple
Tuning in

We placed our order to be installed on our new build property (not a new estate) back in early June, got told we would be installed within 3 weeks.

Get told we would be installed on the 29th June, a guy comes out tells us he needs to send out a team of guys to dig & he will be back before 7pm to install, nobody turns up that day. Then we’re left in the dark, nobody contacts us to keep us updated so we have to ring up and spend 3 hours being disconnected constantly to find out what’s going on.

We get told someone needs to come do the prepull before the installation date of the 13th July, only for someone to turn up and say “we can only dig up to 3m and we need to dig 6m” - WHY was this not spotted on the 29th June??

We’re now have to wait for the council to approve the work on the pavement. I wouldn’t be surprised if we’re not installed still in August.

it’s such a shame that a company so far ahead of competition in terms of speed is so far behind in terms of support & communications.

it’s been over a month since our order & we have a few coloured drawings on our pavement to show for it. Not good enough

23 REPLIES 23

This is getting ridiculous now.

they came out 2 weeks ago to do the dig & the prepull.

expecting to be installed within a week, only for us to be told it needs to be delayed again for (construction issues) so our next date to wait for was Saturday 8th August, that date came by, noobody turned up. I rang on the Sunday and was ASSURED somebody would be out the same day before 6pm to finish the work. Of course nobody turned up.

waited for a few days, just checked the app and now the prepull work is now scheduled for the 17th!!! And installation 24th!! 

so after a 2 week delay, another 1 week delay, were expected to wait ANOTHER 2 weeks, at which point I’m not even confident we’d be installed.

this is absolutely crazy, extremely disappointed and wouldn’t recommend virgin media to absolutely anyone. I feel like I’ve spent 90% of my 2 months on the phone to them as I just have no idea what’s going on.

SORT IT OUT Virgin Media, this is an absolute joke and I want it sorted ASAP 

You need a pavement Tee installed or a duct unblocked, and it looks as if this is being done. Then a 2-man team will pull the coaxial cable from the cabinet to the Tee, leaving a length of cable coiled up. A tech will be round a day or so later to carry out the installation. It's frustrating having to wait but my experience as a cable TV subscriber since 1998 is that it works very reliably.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

It doesnt matter. They were supposed to carry out this job on Sunday just gone, I was ASSURED they would be doing it, to no surprise nobody turns up and its delayed another 2 weeks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can't you get an ISP through openreach?

I'm getting Gigabit from Virgin, not really ideal to go down to 67Mbps

Anonymous
Not applicable

Fair enough. lol.  Openreach is rolling out full fibre to houses at the minute.

They may be in your area before Virgin get the finger out with this one.

https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/fibre-first#FibrecheckerX

Z92
Trouble shooter

That's true, other providers are offering me gigabit services now whilst VM are still saying "coming soon", but the other providers are offering it at the same price as VM charge for 100mbps !

But I'm currently tied to VM, but might get it installed anyway 😄

lotharmat
Community elder
It is going to be interesting come contract end time!

FTTP (Openreach) is at my property.. Some good deals to be had!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

Z92
Trouble shooter

@lotharmat Is OpenReach FTTP the same as the one I was thinking of? I've been told they just install a ONT in the property which has a single ethernet port on it and you connect your own router (or they can provide an Asus WiFi router), which would be perfect for me.

lotharmat
Community elder
I'm not sure to be honest - I just used the 'Openreach website' and they said that as the poles have all been done in this postcode - 900 Mb/s is possible from various providers!

I checked with BT / talk talk etc and all could offer me 900!

When it comes to 're-negotiation time' I'll make some solid enquiries! - A single ethernet port would be great as I have my own router anyway!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7