cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Preinstall failure

bly
On our wavelength

What a saga, history of my endeavours to get Virgin Media are here:

1) https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Installation-shennanigans/td-p/4891049

2) https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Address-order-status/td-p/4901338

I've been waiting for some work to actually happen with the preinstall since mid-October. A manager from Kier Construction showed up last week to explain what was going to happen, it seemed like great progress. He marked up the area on the pavement to be cut, spoke to my neighbours about the cable route along their wall and assured me that his colleague would be on-site for the job to ensure there are no problems.

He explained that they needed to apply for a permit to cut approximately 30cm of the pavement and get a tee installed, after which the cable could be run to my property.

Permit was granted because... Two guys from Kier Construction showed up a few days later at my address so I had to direct them round to the next street, but before they had even seen where they were working, they said they didn't think they could do the job because of a 1" duct or something, who knows? I asked them if they wouldn't mind just coming back round if they can't do it so I know what's happening, they said "no problem".

They drove round to the adjacent street, jumped out their truck for approx. 1 minute then drove off never to be seen again.

I don't think I've ever felt such an overwhelming sense of frustration. After three months, *many* hours on the phone, asking neighbours for permission to cable across their garden, multiple visits from cabling contractors and their managers, even a phone call from the VM directors office and the nail in the coffin was a couple of eejits who show up at the wrong location, pre-empting that they weren't going to lift a finger then unceremoniously disappear.

I can't believe I'm stuck in a house with 10mb broadband that cuts out randomly throughout the day.

Is there any chance of getting this job back on track now? Have tweedle-dee and tweedle-dum really put an end to all these efforts?

16 REPLIES 16

Hi bly, 

Thanks for your post and we can only apologise for the issues you have faced. 

I can see that a complaint has already been raised and sent over to the relevant teams for you. 

Hopefully this will keep things moving in a more positive direction for you and we will finally be able to get you installed. 

Feel free to update the thread as and when you have any updates. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

bly
On our wavelength

I'm pleased to report that after almost 4 months, some installation work has been done! They've installed the tee, so they've now got almost a week to run the cable prior to my installation date. 🤞

Hi bly, 

Thanks for taking the time to come back to us here and update things. 

We're glad to hear there has been some movement and it certainly sounds as though things are heading in the right direction. 

Please keep us posted on how things go and if you need any further assistance, pop back here to let us know. 

Take care,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

bly
On our wavelength

I'm so happy to report that the saga is finally over. I've got 1gig broadband, thank you to everyone who helped 🙏

Hi @bly thanks for getting back to us

Sorry that your issue took so long to resolve and great news that it finally has been.  When you say you've got our Gig1 broadband, do you mean currently or you've arranged for  the set up of that speed?

Regards

Lee_R

bly
On our wavelength

I said I've got Gig1, waited 4 months and now I've got it. Not sure I understand your question.

Apologies for any confusion caused by the question @bly

We are sorry once more for the delay but are very happy to hear this is now resolved for you.

If you do have any further questions, please pop back to us here and we will do our best to help.

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide