cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre installation / installation

500chrisjones
Joining in

Hi all, don't know if anyone can help. I'm a bit confused re what happens with installation of virgin media. I'm a new customer who is having it put in a house ive just bought. We've not moved in yet.

Install is supposed to happen this week but I went around the house this week and someone has connected a cable from the street to the brown access point box, is that the pre installation? I knew nothing about it. But anyway the cable is barely long enough, it just about reaches and is taut and off the ground in the front garden. It can't stay like this, it's a mess and a trip hazard. I can't believe anyone would think thats job done. Would that get sorted at installation? Or is that something I need to get sorted first with whoever did it. 

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi 500chrisjones, 

for your post and welcome to the forums. It's great having you on board with us in the Community. 

I'm sorry to hear that you weren't made ware that there would be a pre-installation visit. This take place to ensure there is a cable to connect you too on the day of the installation. 

It can look a little messy at first but the everything will be completed on installation day. 

If you're unhappy at that point, the engineer will do all they can to get things put right. If needed we can always arrange for another engineer to come out afterwards too. 

Let us know how the install goes and if you need anything else, you know where we are 🙂 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi

Thanks for your response. I can wait until the installer turns up. It is still a trip hazard until then, with a cable taut in the air across the front of the house for no reason, doesn't feel normal. Just weird to connect it like that and leave it so its a very disappointing first impression of virgin media.

Will update when the installation happens

Chris

Hi 500chrisjones

If you are really okay with waiting 

If not we can get this looked at for you 

Gareth_L

Hi Gareth

I'm not sure really. It was VMs suggestion to wait. All I know is that it can't stay as it is. 

Does the installation team do anything with the outdoors cable? If not then it will need to be looked at. I've no idea who does what, I didn't even know this first team existed until they showed up when no one was there. 

I've attached a photo, but that cable isnt resting on the ground so it's not long enough really. But can it not be buried also? The landscape at the front isn't great but I would have thought it could be covered up to some extent. I think the house used to have cable and there does appear to be the remnants of a buried cable there but at some point it must have been cut by previous owners. 

Maybe it should be looked at if the installer isn't going to be dealing with this? 

Thanks

Screenshot_20211206_182541-min.jpg

Screenshot_20211206_182531-min.jpg

Hi.

Installation has taken place and it up and running

It was agreed that the cable is too short and needs to be covered or buried. I'm still not sure why that wasn't done to start with. 

The installation guy said he would ask someone to sort it and also some brick work has been damaged so that needs to be patched up too.

wasn't sure how quickly that happens so I thought I'd report back here. At the moment it is an eyesore, the cable is elevated still and it just cant remain like that for long, it'll get damaged and it risks water entering the house. I need someone to lengthen the cable to the house, cover up the wire or Bury it and also patch up the exterior brickwork now please

See photo. Thanks

IMG_20211207_132917.jpg

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good afternoon @500chrisjones

Thank you for coming back to us.

I am going to pop you over a PM so we can arrange someone to come and get this cable re-buried. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

Hi Zak 

The virgin engineer came today and extended the cable so its not elevated anymore but he said he had to arrange a contractor to bury the cable.

I'm still sort of confused. This is 3 visits now and no one has done it. 

Thanks

Christopher Jones

Thanks for coming back to us @500chrisjones, have we been able to offer a follow up date for any return to your property?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Hi

Nope I've not been notified of a follow up. The last chap just said he would get a contractor to do the cable burial/patching up the brickwork. But I wasn't given any timeframe 

Thanks

Chris Jones