cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre-install nightmare

ThisIsTom
On our wavelength

We were recently approached at our door by a salesman telling us that FTTP is now available in our area.  They have just finished the work required to provide it to houses in our location.  After taking my details and promising the world (and finding out that a lot of what was said seems to have just been to get me to sign up) I'm left with a bit of a mess.

I've cancelled my current internet provider and I've been told my final installation date is the 7th of May.  The issue is currently with my pre-pull date.  A date had been set, the date came and went.  Since that date the Virgin Media app shows that the work is being done on the day I log in and view the appointments screen.

I've had a couple of missed calls from Virgin Media during the day (can't always answer my mobile due to work), no messages are being left, no emails being sent to update me.  Every time I call up customer services they don't seem to understand the issue and claim the installation will be done by the end of the day.  There is no record on the systems and I'm being told no one is calling me even though the missed calls are from the Virgin Media number.  Every morning I login and view my account I can see it hasn't been done and it's being done "today".  This has been going on for 2 weeks now and I've made constant phone calls to Virgin Media to try and get this sort and just not getting anywhere.

My final install date is coming up fast and I just do not feel confident that all work will have been done by the time the engineer attempts to setup my property.

Is there anyone out there that can help or can advise as to how I can escelate my issue?

7 REPLIES 7

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Given the issues VM are having with installs, the first thing to say is to not cancel the current provider. Re. those installation issues - see John’s excellent précis of the current situation in messsage 18 here…

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Multiple-Failed-Installations-zero-commun...

A VM person will pick this up here in a day or two and may be able to help

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks, I've started to read through various threads now and I'm not getting a good feeling.  I'm starting to feel like I should just cancel the Virgin Media install and stay with my current provider.  Doesn't fill me with confidence if people are experiencing the same issue and there is just silence from their management teams.  The thread you linked is a real eye opener 😞

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Usual advice on here is to try to overlap your old service, if you can, with the new one from VM and not cancel the old service until VM is up and running to your satisfaction. Can you negotiate an extension with your old provider without committing to a renewed contract until such time as VM does install or has the old provider now ceased its service?

The madness of VM's installation processes is that you might actually get installed in the near future or you might end up being strung along by VM for months on end with no progress. Anything VM tells you can't be taken as being reliable and no one from within VM seems to be able to find out reliable information or give waiting customers reliable answers or timescales.

ThisIsTom
On our wavelength

So this is still ongoing, I've not had a response from any mods on the forum and no one from Virgin Media has attempted to contact me even though I've been hounding them for updates only to be greeted with broken promises of being contacted with an update. 

Since the thread was created I've constantly chased and have also raised a complaint (which I've also not heard back from).  I've been regularly chasing and I've been consistently told that my pre-pull is taking place on the day I call or that it will be happening soon.  When I chased this evening I got through to someone who confirmed that I don't have an engineer assigned to my pre-pull and there is no date (even though the Virgin site and app shows it as being today).  My final install is meant to be this weekend.  I've explained my frustrations, told them I'd like this escalated and was put on hold.  Then they cut me off.  I was on the phone for 38 minutes in total and no further forward.  I've given them 15 minutes to call me back but my phone is silent, I should be surprised but based off of my experiences so far I'm not...

Really struggling to understand why there is no escalation process for people in this position.  

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi ThisIsTom, 

Thank you for your post and welcome to the forums. 

I am sorry for the delay in responding to your post, we do try to get to all posts as soon as possible. Again, I would like to offer my apologies for the experience you've had whilst trying to get this sorted. I have looked on our systems and can see that everything should have been resolved today. Can you let me know how you got on and is everything okay? 

Cheers,

Ryan. 

ThisIsTom
On our wavelength

Hi Ryan,

Thank you for getting back to me.  It has been partially resolved.  Pre-pull was completed sometime on Wednesday when I was at work, the installation took place on Saturday.  For some reason my number porting was dropped off the request so I don't have my normal landline (yet).  I've been advised that it should complete 5-7 working days. 

Hopefully that will be the end of the issues and the service will remain stable.

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi ThisIsTom,

Thanks for posting and welcome back to the community.

Apologies for the issues faced, can I ask has the other parts of the service been completed now?

Thanks,

Kain