Menu
Gary333
Dialled in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Power cable laid in the Coxial cable pipe

I have ordered BB & Phone for my new house. The estate has only been recently cabled (last 12 months) however as it's infill it's not FTTP. It's due to be installed later this week.

On Saturday I noticed Virgin had sent their two man team to pull the cable through. After speaking to them it turns out the planks who installed the pipes have run the power cable through the residential pipe designed for the Coax. Power and Coax cannot be in the same pipe so they could not complete.

Does anyone know what the process is when this happens? The guys thought the street might have to be dug up. Turns out I am the first person to order cable on my side of the street. 

Secondary to this they wanted to run my cable to the small amplifier cabinet (which is further down the street in the wrong direction) as i quote 'it's easier for them' rather than running the cable down to the main cabinet which is a 100m or so in the opposite direction. Is this normal, as surely this is taking up capacity designed for the houses further away (and extends my cable length).

Cheers for reading.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Power cable laid in the Coxial cable pipe

possible virginmedia will be having words with the power company to cover all the costs.. as for what cabinet you get routed shouldn't impact on capacity since the cabinet is just a giant splitter, so the power company might need to re-attend and do a proper cable run.
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
Gary333
Dialled in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

New Order Cancelled

After a poor experience and lack of communication from Virgin Media about my order which has been affected by power cables being in the coax duct, I now find this poor experience has been compounded by Virgin Media cancelling my order, and not even having the decency to contact me and explain the reason.

After calling in I have been told that the construction team have deemed my property to expensive to rectify the problem even though the equipment is all brand new as installed as part of Project Lightening (coax infill), and all the ground works were completed.

I presume this means the whole side of the street will be unable to order?

How do I raise a complaint with regards to this and the poor experience? Secondly, why does Virgin not pass responsibility back to the contractors to fix the issue?

Previous Thread:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Power-cable-laid-in-the-Coxial-cable-pipe...

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: New Order Cancelled

i merged these posts together saves the forum staff jumping between posts.
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Gary333 

Thanks for posting in the community. I appreciate this would have been a frustrating experience, I'm sorry that the work has now been deemed as something we're not able to do.  It would likely mean that this side of the road won't be able to have services.

Have you logged a complaint since or been given a COM number at all? 

Thanks, 

Hollie_B 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Gary333
Dialled in
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Sorry I didn't see this response. I did ask them to raise this as a complaint, however no idea if anything happened. I certainly never got a phone call back.

I am most dismayed to see that Virgin Media are planning to install 90m of ducting for one house mid Feb, and 61m of ducting for two houses in March that are just around the corner according to roadworks.org.

Yet Virgin are not prepared to replace 38m of ducting (or a little more if they do the job properly and replace the pipe to tee's to all 5 houses).

In additon it I see that my house is still showing i can place and order, how can this be?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I am sorry to read that your property has been deemed un-serviceable Gary333. 

Do you know if the other properties on your side of the road have applied for services in the past? If not, it would be worth checking on the levels of interest and advising people to register that here: virg.in/cablemystreet

I am afraid I would be unable to comment on the installation for the properties in the area sorry. 

Thanks, 

Nat
0 Kudos
Gary333
Dialled in
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Nat,

Contractors said non of the other houses had applied. All 5 houses (there may be more around the corner as I have no idea where the pipes go after this) all show as available (including my own) on the Virgin Media website. So surely if we submit the form they will just look and say "what are these people doing, it's already available". I had the same discussion with the construction team however they had no answer to this. Apparently the street would be 'blocked' but clearly this has not happened.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Trouble shooter
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I get the feeling that VM has given up on this too easily. Surely the power company should be required to rectify the problem at their expense and remove their cabling from the VM ducts.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Apologies again for the confusion caused, we'll be in the process of updating the website to remove the properties that are showing available but aren't due to the duct issues.

Rob

0 Kudos