cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Posting This To Fight My Corner

Pete_Notts
Up to speed

Hey

I am not really looking for advice per se. I just want to up the ante and make waves wherever I can until this is resolved - on what can only be described as the most frustrating time in 20 years I have had since VM used to be NTL.

It must be serious right..??

Well the topic is comical, the response..or lack thereof..to date, is far from funny for me.

As someone who knows they have a very short shelf life remaining - I lost my sense of humour after 3 hours..all fruitless..trying to remedy one small thing...which was..?

A CABLE I needed...lol..YUP a Cable !!

I thought it would be a 30 second single phone call to get it sorted, and the kettle would not have boiled as I dealt with this most simplistic of follow up calls.

3 hours cumulatively later after multiple calls on different days...I am still no further forward, though have now lodged a complaint via the portal.

I did this morning speak to Pete from Retentions..who assured me the matter would be resolved, and that I would finally receive the requisite cable needed in order to use my V6 in the second room..which I am paying for under a new 18 month contract.

Problem being. I have lost literally all trust in what I am told on the phone by VM. The following is my complaint,which illustrates the circumstances.

I want it here, because I am utterly stubborn, and so want to have a record of 'what happens next' as this sheer incompetency continues to lumber on.

Like I said. Under different circumstances, it could almost be regarded as hugely comedic..except I am far from laughing right now.

...A cable. Just a simple broadband cable :-s

Anyways here is the complaint. I will use this thread to update, as each new non-comical twist unfolds..but want it here on the VM platform. My body might be failing, but damned if my spirit is waning anytime soon.

Hi. A couple of weeks ago, I upgraded to the Oomph package. An engineer came out and installed the second wall socket for the V6 box in my bedroom. All of that was fine. However, after he left, I realised that the supplied 3 metre cable which you plug into the wall socket, and then the back of your V6 box..was too short.

Sounds so simple. I phoned up, and was told a 10 metre cable would be sent out. It wasn't. Days after it was due to arrive, I phoned again..and precisely the same thing as the first time..a promise of it, but no delivery of one.

Then tonight I get a text message to confirm a visit by an engineer this coming Monday.

WHY ??

That was never discussed. I don't need an engineer. Just for a 10 metre cable as promised twice before (failing to materialise each time) to be sent out to me.

There is NOTHING an engineer can do. There is no work to be completed, no faulty equipment, nothing to be installed/removed..absolutely nothing whatsoever.

It feels like trying to ski up a mountain, when this matter could not be simpler. I simply require a 10 metre cable to be sent out, as the 3 metre one is too short. It's starting to feel like I am talking a foreign language, and attempting to crack the Enigma code of what seemingly is the most challenging conundrum VM has ever faced..

1. Put 10 metre cable in bag
2. Post it out to me
3. Charge me or add it to my bill if you want

So now I have to be in and available for an engineer this Monday, who has no work to complete. That's a great use of your resources is it not ? And then to wishfully hope, that that engineer 'might' just happen to have a 10 metre cable spare on his van.

Good grief..it should never have become this difficult for ONE cable !!!

If the matter is not resolved, I am honestly so annoyed, that if come Monday, I am still without that one simple cable that I need..to cancel my direct debit for ALL services, and just refuse to pay you a penny more, and ignore warnings and letters you send out.

Seriously Unimpressed Customer

Peter Carter

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Gareth

Thanks for the follow up. You beat me to the punch slightly 🙂

The engineer attended., and supplied the cable. He was also good enough to use wall clips, and affix it in place. Hence I got an extra bonus on top of getting the correct length cable.

Just to finish on an oops 'faux pas' ending gaffe on my part..The staple style gun he used to attach the wall fixings - well he left, and forgot to take it with him. Thankfully, I spotted it just before he disappeared off my driveway. Raced to the door, and called out quite loudly "Hey you forgot your gun..!!"

Thankfully the street was empty, and no sea of blue lights descended, with black clad stormtroopers lighting up the place like an early Christmas tree 😂

So yes all done, and I can finally call the matter resolved.

Take Care

Pete

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

19 REPLIES 19

Richw1982
Rising star

I dont think pre made cable comes in 10meter lengths, so a tech would have to come and make a length of cable up 

I work for VMO2 but all opinions are my own and are based on my own experiences

Anonymous
Not applicable

They cost less than a tenner just about anywhere.

You can even pick the colour!

Although I am amused at your fight with VM.

I don't think they have an ethernet cable department.

I think its the coax cable the customer is after.  VM don't supply 10Meter ethernet this would have to be sourced by customer as said for under £10

I work for VMO2 but all opinions are my own and are based on my own experiences

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

It sounds very like a coax cable that the OP wants, which the technician would have cut to length and fitted at no extra charge if requested when the additional socket was fitted.

It's pointless to demand something that Virgin have no way of supplying.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

In fact they do..3, 5 and 10 metre cables. Unless 2 different members of the team, in different calls,  happened to tell the same lie.

Entirely possible I guess

That's an ethernet cable. The cable in question is a boadband socket cable, that connects your V6 box to a wall adaptor. 2 different circular ends. Though do appreciate the fast reply. Cheers

Well it might cost you £99 for a cable then only new install with a engineer would you get it free.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Anonymous
Not applicable

It was specifying exact metre measurements that made me think ethernet. 

I have never seen an tech measure coax cable metre by metre.

Same applies, you can pick a cable up on Amazon for convenience.