Menu
Archaeon
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Port Forwarding

Sooo ...

I've just been through on my third call to Virgin Media about Port Forwarding and after being advised by a nice gentleman in the Gadget Rescue Team that I needed to speak to 2nd Line Support about the DNS Opt Out (as this would apparently sort the issue since the Superhub 3 doesn't have the option), the call got cut off during transfer.

After that I spoke to an extremely bored fellow called Keith in the Faults team who stated categorically that Virgin Media do not support port forwarding - even though it's an option on the Superhub 3, there's a guide on how to do it on the Virgin Media site, the forums are filled with people who are trying to set it up, and even Googling whether Virgin Media support port forwarding or not yields no answers. Keith was kind enough to drag me around in circles before cutting the call (thanks Kieth).

So my question is very simple. Does Virgin Media support port forwarding or not, because if it's the latter then it answers a hell of a lot of questions.

0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Port Forwarding

Support in what way? The Hub3 can do port forwarding, but it can be tricky to set up as you have probably found by posts on the board. As to VM staff being able to help (support) with problems with port forwarding, I suspect they are as good as with other problems. Many users who do a lot of port forwarding, I currently have 25 set up, bite the bullet and purchase their own router.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

VM likely don't test or support Port Forwarding their support in router modem or modem mode is can your device get to google.

The port forwarding and DMZ is their and some what works to keep some people happy but really you should use modem mode and get your own router.

0 Kudos
Archaeon
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Yeah, it's a right pain in the posterior so just bit the bullet for a new ASUS RT-AC57U Dual-Band Gigabit Wireless Router. What I meant by support was that apparently Virgin as a company no longer support port forwarding so even though they have a guide on their site and the option is there on the superhub, there's no point in ringing them as they won't help.
0 Kudos
apadley
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The problem with Port Forwarding (and it's the same with all providers) is there is usually little automated correlation with external (or internal) DNS providers, so you have to work directly with IP addresses.

For example, if you want to host your own website on an internal web server at say, 192.168.0.100, you would set up port forwarding to that address, on port 80 (internal and external interfaces).

Then, when someone connects to http://81.123.123.123 (or whatever your external Virgin WAN address is), it will be forwarded to your internal server on the relevant port (port 80 is the usual address for http traffic).

The problem is - you need to register your external WAN address with a DNS provider (so http://<yourdomain>.com works), and virgin can change your IP address at any time, so you then need to update your DNS setting manually, at your domain provider. You also need to ensure your internal address doesn't change. Best way to do this is to either assign a static IP address, or register your Mac address so the Superhub DHCP server always gives your internal web server the same address.

I'm sure you know all this already though.

0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

All servers and any machine I have a port forward to, I always set up with a real static address, NOT a pseudo DHCP static address. You are then never relying on the router to give out its address. Also a lot of routers have facilities to automatically update your WAN address on the internet..

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos