cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poorly installed cable.

bland450
Tuning in

Hi, I moved into a house 6 months ago and there is a cable installed to a neighbours house that is stretched across from my garage roof to a wall over 5 meters. In a green conduit it looks awful. It was installed while the house was empty across my land and virgin media as far as i know didn't obtain permission. I have asked virgin media to reinstall it as it looks so bad. They have told me that it is a chargeble call out because its over 30 days since it was installed and they think my neighbour will ring them up and ask them to re route the cable even though there is a charge. I feel really frustrated. Virginedia should fix this because it is bad workmanship. Anyone know what my options are? I can send pictures of the install if required.

22 REPLIES 22

bland450
Tuning in

bland450_0-1648671273415.png

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Congratulations! Of all the photos of totally ridiculous VM cable installations that have popped up on here, that one is definitely right up there near the top of the league of shame.

With the photo to look (marvel) at, the VM forum team should be able to refer to a local VM person to investigate and arrange a remedy. Shouldn't cost your neighbour anything.

These topics of unwanted cables on (or flying over!) private land do usually get sorted on here but it is often not a quick process. You may have to keep referring back here to chase it if VM drag their heels on fixing it (which is quite likely they will).

One of the VM forum team should reply and help within a day or two.

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

have flagged it to staff - it certainly gets the prize for the best i have ever seen or should that be worst 

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Anonymous
Not applicable

There is indeed a certain CGAF arrogance both in the installation and in the response to date. I am guessing it will require the attention of an area manager but they seem to be as rare as hens' teeth. 

goslow
Alessandro Volta

I would guess this kind of installation results entirely from the failed sub-contracting processes which VM has chosen to adopt, payment only upon completion of the sub-contracted task and zero quality control from VM. I imagine the sub-contractor gets paid only when they have completed the installation (in any way, shape or form) and VM can activate the service and start charging the customer.

Whether or not the terrible standard of installation causes any comeback for VM or the sub-contractor is then entirely down to whether the customer complains or not. I think a lot of people would just put up with the bad workmanship, in which case nothing more for VM or the sub-contractor to have to deal with.

Thanks everyone i think origionally it may have been tooked behind the ivy and balanced on the wall. Ive been meaning to ring up for ages but didn't find the time plus Virgin media make it hard to complain non of the options while ringing up where about compliants. Which natrally gets you fustrated while going through the automated voice recordings. Then you find yourself getting short with the operator and it has absolutely nothing to do with them. 

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @bland450

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to see this poor installation finish, this should have never been signed off. I have been advised that we would need your neighbours to contact us about this so we can locate the account and book in the work to have this resolved. Do you think they would be able to post on this community thread or call us on 0345 454 1111 (or 150 from a Virgin Media landline). Another option would be for them to raise a formal complaint on their account and assigned to the install team for investigation. They can do this by any of the methods listed here. Please keep us posted with how you get on. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

hmmmmm @Carley_S it would seem the neighbours have already called in - its said in the 1st post and they got fobbed off by whoever - lets guess - offshore - being told it was chargeable as the install was over 30 days ago - wrong in both instances

so whats likely to change if they ring again - my advice to the OP would be to take a pair of wire cutters to it - thats going to concentrate minds but he/she sounds better than that

really this needs sorting with a bit of out of the box thinking - flag it to an AFM and get it sorted - then find out which tech did it and give him/her a swift kick up the backside and a warning 

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Hi @Carley_S

I can give you their address.

Thanks

Phil