cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plugging in coaxial cable

Jamiegibson1
Tuning in

Trying to set up our broadband but we do not have the white Virgin Media socket to connect the coaxial cable into. How do we contact an engineer to fit the socket for us? 

Has not helped that there were no instructions in the box, and the QR code for the instructions sent us to a broken website. We should have been asked if we had a virgin socket during the purchasing process to avoid this issue. 

9 REPLIES 9

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Is there a cable coming in?

From your outside "omnibox" trace where the cable comes into your property - usually through a hole drilled through the wall. What is at the inside end of that hole? They sometimes dont have wall boxes just a bare cable, or the previous occupant may have removed ir or decorated over it etc.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

to add to John's post with a  cut and paste

not all installs have an internal box

start outside and look for the external wall box - 6" square ish usually on wall facing road or pavement - brown or grey usually - follow any cables that come from it and go inside - if there are non look inside opposite external box as they may just have drilled through wall - as said it may just be a cable rather than an internal wall box

if you find a cable you need one of these to attach the cable that came with the quick start kit

https://www.diy.com/departments/tristar-data-cable-coupler/571706_BQ.prd

Tony.
Sacked VIP

3B653E75-FA01-4E2E-B6D7-493C03AE845C.jpeg

Thanks for your reply! Have had a look around and the only thing I can find is this cable which leads outside. 

the black cable certainly has the correct fitting to go into the hub - sky use the same fitting but the cable looks too thick for them - so screw that into the hub and turn it on - it may self activate after a few minutes - it may not - if not ring the activation line 0800 953 9500

if the power light goes white [again after a while] you should be up and running

but you really need to add the cable that came with the hub - get the connector from B & Q to connect it to the cable you have

or if you want to tidy things up post back as what you have is not totally ideal and VM should book a tech

if the power light is solid or flashing green after it activated then you have a problem and need a tech - again post back and wait for VM

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Thanks Tony,

I plugged the black cable into the router and the light is flashing green.

Will need to book an engineer to come out.

Thanks for your help! 

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

That F plug on the cable has certainly not been attached by a VM technician.  It’s not a proper crimped one, but cheap one.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Yes definitely.

just waiting for VM staff to see this and book us a technician.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Try calling in - VM can take a day or two to respond here

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi Jamiegibson1,

Welcome to the Community Forums and to Virgin Media! Thanks so much for your first post.

I'm sorry to hear that you've property is not set up correctly for your Quickstart installation. I'll be more than happy to help with this and arrange an engineer visit for you.

Please find my message over at the purple envelope so I can look into this for you.

Many thanks

Beth

Beth