Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Please help me select a router

In have the Virgin Hub 3 and have been having some serious issues with the wifi. The ethernet connected devices have a flawless connection. So it's not an internet issue. I read online and also on this subreddit that the Hub 3 is really underpowered and infamous for bad wifi. So the natural answer is to switch the hub to modem mode and connect a great router to it. I've looked at lots of different routers listed on Amazon but I'm having a lot of trouble selecting a router. What I'm after is a router that can handle 12+ wireless devices (smart devices, laptops, phones, etc) at once and cover multiple floors. The two most important factors are: Wifi range Number of simultaneous devices Please can you share the routers that you think will suit this best?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Legend
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Please help me select a router

Building construction ?

Budget ?

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Remember... if you are satisfied with the Hub3's routing ability and dont need/want advanced features like... timed device access, QoS, etc, - then you dont need a new router to solve wifi issues you would be better spending the monies on a high quality Mesh wifi system or quality wireless access points.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Well-informed
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

You need to specify your speed grade as well .

You can get cheap access points that will give good coverage but only have 100mb ethernet ports. 

If you can afford it however I'd go with an ac1900 based router as it provides more bandwidth in the 5ghz range which will be useful if you could have 12 devices all streaming. 

0 Kudos