cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Planning extension - do i need to move the virgin broadband cable wire?

Newcustomer19
Joining in

Drawing 2 with lines on.jpg

The red line is where the internet cable runs and the blue line is where the single story extension will go - any ideas on what would be best? thank you

10 REPLIES 10

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Your image has been rejected as it contains identifiable information about your address. If you can resubmit that with the info redacted, then the image is likely to be approved.

By means of general advice, if you do need any alterations to your VM cabling, this is a flat-fee of £25 these days.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

new drawing.jpg

Hi, thanks - i've added a new picture - the orange line shows the broadband cable and the blue scribble is the new extension. Would it be best to move the broadband cable to say to come towards the front door and avoid the extension area? thanks

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hard to say if the existing supply is within the footprint of the new extension's foundations?  If they are not then just leave it, otherwise the builder and VM contractor will have to agree on the route of the buried incoming VM cable.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Hi

the cable runs just in front of the proposed extension and it is above ground (visible) not underground. Thanks!

If that's a garage, there will be a drive or hardstanding in front of it.  Your builders will need to bury a conduit underneath so the Virgin can re-route the cable through it.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Newcustomer19 wrote:

Hi

the cable runs just in front of the proposed extension and it is above ground (visible) not underground. Thanks!

As stated above, the cable should be buried in a conduit.  For future proofing a pull cord should also be installed if the cable ever needs to be replaced.

it's likely the driveway will be dug up also for pipework etc. Virgin installed the cable wire and left it above ground - virgin could still dig up the path (on the road) and bring the wire further down to so it goes to the front door and avoids the extension area? or do you think i should just leave the wire where it is/or put it underground and risk it being damaged by building work? thanks! complicated i know.

new wire.jpg

red = existing cable runs above ground

blue = new proposed cable 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you expect VM to dig up the footpath/road,, unless it's financially viable for other reasons, they will not do it.  It costs a fortune to do any civil works on footpaths/roads.  The council also have to get involved with permits etc.

Unless of course, you are on a private lane or something.

Have your builders install ductwork from the boundary of your property where the Virgin Media access point is, to the location on your house where you would like the services to enter. Have a think about any Openreach (BT) services at the same time, as you might want the option of FTTP from them when it arrives in your area. If you're served off poles then this isn't relevant.

Use green duct for VM services https://www.comtecdirect.co.uk/product/emtelle-pvc-duct/PG0521 

If there's enough slack in the existing cable then you can probably get away with re-routing it yourself, otherwise you will need to book a call out once the works have completed.