Menu
Wolfclaw
Superfast
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Phone Call From VM

Hi community, had an interesting call from a guy saying he was from VM saying Microsoft had detected an issue.

Now we all know about these scams and politely refused to do anything but he did give me his name a ref number of F009451184 which does look similar to VM reference numbers.

Would appreciate if any of the staff could validate the reference and pass any details in a PM ?

------------------------------------------------
Gig1 Package
Hub v4 Modem Mode
Asus RT-AX86U
2.5G CAT 7 LAN
Windows Server 2022

My Broadband Ping - Wolfclaw-BBM1
0 Kudos
goslow
Community elder
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Phone Call From VM

"Microsoft had detected an issue" = scam IMO.

Microsoft are very good at causing issues but not so much detecting them!

David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your post on our Forums @Wolfclaw,

I'd be happy to look into this for you, check out the purple envelope in the top right hand corner for a private message from me

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

0 Kudos
jem101
Community elder
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

This is absolutely 100% a scam call and didn’t originate from VM. It’s trivially easy to see the general format of a VM reference number so quoting a random made-up number in similar format as well as giving you a (fake) name, just makes it sound slightly more genuine.

After all, they can tell you any old number and name, how would you check it to see if it is real?

Microsoft, never, ever, check machines and report it to anyone. The second any caller mentions that, just put the phone down - it’s a con!

0 Kudos
Wolfclaw
Superfast
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Just a FYI, was a legitimate VM call, would have been nice if they didn't withhold number.

Microsoft doing some ports scan and hit my personal lab test software and making accusations, shame CMA isn't more specific on port scanning a private network without consent, would have made an interesting test case !

------------------------------------------------
Gig1 Package
Hub v4 Modem Mode
Asus RT-AX86U
2.5G CAT 7 LAN
Windows Server 2022

My Broadband Ping - Wolfclaw-BBM1
0 Kudos