cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Permission from council to do external cable works

Mohsinbeg
Joining in

My installation date has been pushed back 2 weeks becuase they need permission from the council.

What is this permission for? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM need a work permit to be issued giving their contractors permission to dig up the pavement or road & alter or clear the street ducts. Two weeks is pretty good to get a permit issued. Some councils take 6 to 8 weeks to issue non emergency permits.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Sounds like VM have found a need to dig on the public road/footpath. They need council permission to do this. This is often due to the cable duct underground being blocked when they try to pull in a new cable. Could be other reasons too.

Why does it take 2 weeks? 

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM need a work permit to be issued giving their contractors permission to dig up the pavement or road & alter or clear the street ducts. Two weeks is pretty good to get a permit issued. Some councils take 6 to 8 weeks to issue non emergency permits.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

See my answer above.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Mohsinbeg wrote:

Might depend on how long it takes the council to process the request or might be due to availability of VM teams/sub-contractors to do the digging part or a combination of the two.

How do I know it won't get pushed back again? 

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Mohsinbeg wrote:

How do I know it won't get pushed back again? 

Unfortunately, there is no way of telling. If you browse through past topics on these forums you can find some cases which drag on for weeks and weeks with dates being pushed back again and again.

Hey @Mohsinbeg,

Thanks for taking the time to post on our forums.

I'm really sorry to hear that your install has been delayed, I have been able to locate your account via your community profile and can see that we are waiting for the permit to be approved and have scheduled the appointment for the next available date.

Unfortunately we cannot guarantee that this appointment will go ahead until your local council approve the permit, the team will be in touch with you if anything changes.

Regards,

Steven_L