cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Own conduit along fence

Markbradley1972
Joining in

I'm due my cable install later in April, I have a block paved drive so a buried cable isn't  possible and the likely route is along my fence from the pavement to the house wall. Installations near me along fence runs are generally clipped to the wooden fence panels, I don't want this and so am considering installing my own conduit along the concrete gravel boards from pavement to house. If I do this will the cable installers use this ? I'll obviously leave a pull string through the conduit for them to pull through the fibre. If they'll use it will 25mm conduit be adequate? 

Also, if I run an rg6 cable internally from the point I want the router to the outside wall where the old telephone cable enters will the installers be happy to use that too ? I'm just fussy about how I want the cable hiding internally.

Many thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The installers will certainly use your conduit outside if you have it ready.  25mm is ample and the thick plastic mains water pipe is excellent for such things,

As for inside, no.  VM's cable is specifically made for VM to shield the frequencies for cable supply.   A VM technician will however, put the equipment wherever you need it, within reason.  You can also use your own trunking or conduit internally with pull ropes if you wish, just not your own co-ax cable.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Almost all Virginmedia connections are still coax from the cabinet, but they should have no problem in using your conduit.  They used the one I provided. 

There are many varieties of cable called RG6 and the one VM use is a very high spec. The installer will very likely want to use his own. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The installers will certainly use your conduit outside if you have it ready.  25mm is ample and the thick plastic mains water pipe is excellent for such things,

As for inside, no.  VM's cable is specifically made for VM to shield the frequencies for cable supply.   A VM technician will however, put the equipment wherever you need it, within reason.  You can also use your own trunking or conduit internally with pull ropes if you wish, just not your own co-ax cable.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Many thanks, a couple of very helpful answers....internally as a compromise I'll maybe run a fish wire that the installer can use to pull through his own cable 👍 basically I want to run the cable through the cavity of some ceiling coving so it doesn't go around internal doorframes and along skirting boards, which I think is unsightly.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yes, sounds like a plan.  Any of the VM technicians I've ever had in to do work, have been very helpful if things are prepped before hand.  🙂

@Markbradley1972 wrote:

Many thanks, a couple of very helpful answers....internally as a compromise I'll maybe run a fish wire that the installer can use to pull through his own cable 👍 basically I want to run the cable through the cavity of some ceiling coving so it doesn't go around internal doorframes and along skirting boards, which I think is unsightly.

Also, check the spec for any plastic conduit used outside. Much of the stuff from the likes of Screwfix etc. may only be suitable for internal use. The plastic may fade or crack over time due to UV light if it is not outdoor rated.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

I also used blue plastic water pipe, buried just under the surface close alongside the fence where it hasn't been disturbed.

I'll be getting FTTP when it's available here and am hoping that it can use the same conduit instead of the coax. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.