Menu
Alex_zrf
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Outside box not properly installed

Hi I have just had virgin media installed on the 24 of December and unfortunately I am also part of the growing group of people who had a poor installation of the outside wall box as well as the cabling to the inside of the house. In order of importance:

1) The outside brown box only lasted for a week and it has now been completely blown off by the wind leaving all the internal cables exposed and on the ground.

2) The position of the box is very poor as it’s blocking space on the already small drive I have on the side of the house, as well as being an eyesore because it’s too close to the entrance of the house. I haven’t been asked where I would like the box to be placed but was not expecting it to be so big and positioned so badly.

3) The cable that goes from the box to the inside of the house is literally in plain sight. The area in front of my house is made up of rubble stones so any cable can be very easily hidden away, however the virgin media cable is the exception as it’s attached to the front of the house.

I have contacted customer services and after waiting on the line for 40 minutes the lady informed me that she can’t help as it’s equipment and not the service itself.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what  I could do? 
Below picture is what I managed to put back together..

Thanks!
Alex

B2FADC84-F0AD-4A8B-B181-AC07AF4FB31A.jpeg

0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Outside box not properly installed

It looks like your in a PIA area as the virgin feed is coming out the BT duct. The virgin feed has to come out the grey tube there is no option to dig up your garden to place it elsewhere. 

Can you find the brown lid so you can push it back on? 

0 Kudos
Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Alex_zrf,

Thanks for using the forums to get this issue with your Omni box resolved, I am sorry it's looking like this!

I have used the information from your forum profile to check your services and also forwarded your request onto the local engineer team along with the picture you gave above as well. Like JB66 mentioned, they may not be able to change the location of the box as it needs to stay near the access point, but I have asked for you nonetheless. I have also asked if they can send an engineer round to fix the cover on the box so that the elements don't damage the wiring, I will get back to you once they have replied.

Thanks so much,

Megan_L

Alex_zrf
Joining in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thank you so much! I look forward to hearing a response from the engineering team. Obviously now the priority would be to get the box fixed however If there is even the slightest chance of being able to move the box to a different place or at least move it higher so it doesn’t block the drive I am willing to pay the additional time/materials needed to do so.

Alex

0 Kudos
Alex_zrf
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately not. It has been blown away buy the wind and then probably binned or nicked by someone since it wasn’t glued/screwed on.

0 Kudos
Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Alex_zrf,

The team have just got back to me and confirmed there is nothing they can do in terms of relocating the Omni box due to the access point for the BT duct, but they will be happy to fix the cover for you, an engineer will be sent out to do this.

Thanks so much!

Megan_L

0 Kudos
Alex_zrf
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Megan

I can confirm an engineer has visited me after your confirmation however all he did was to put a plastic cover on with a cable tie. 
Maybe I’m not used to this type of “installation” having always been with BT but the outside box is still pretty much unsecured and the cable tie “fix” will not stop the water going in.

I guess there is nothing else that can be done now since the internet works and from the engineers perspective they’ve done their job, however I doubt this job will last more than a couple of months. I am talking to my neighbours who are in a similar situation to assess what options we have.

thanks!

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

the boxes are not waterproof anyway
0 Kudos
Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Alex_zrf wrote:

<snip>

3) The cable that goes from the box to the inside of the house is literally in plain sight. The area in front of my house is made up of rubble stones so any cable can be very easily hidden away, however the virgin media cable is the exception as it’s attached to the front of the house.

Thanks!
Alex

Looking at that photo it appears the black cable that is pinned to the wall has a good bit of slack rolled up in the brown box.  You might be able to unclip it and drop it down the couple of inches to be under the stones?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Alex_zrf
Joining in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the heads up! 
The black cable goes around the front of house for 5-6 meters and it’s clipped to the house instead of being under the rubbles. This is not captured in the pic but the way it’s looking just does my head in as I’m sure it took more time for the engineer to clip it to the house instead of digging it under the stones.

Anyway, nothing that can be done now and I already feel like I’m complaining too much here. Thank you all for the suggestions and stay safe.

0 Kudos