cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Orange light on hub 3, no internet

Haydough
Tuning in

Hello all,

I was recently sent a super hub 3 and went through the whole installation process but the bottom base light is just on a solid orange light, trouble being that there shouldn't be an orange light with this model, there's nothing about it in the book that came with it and nothing online other than this forum, in which people from virgin confirm what im saying;

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Orange-Light/m-p/4423245#M327455

When I turn it on the base line is green with the WiFi and wired connection lights also green but after a short while these start flashing and then the base line goes orange and the WiFi and wired lights go off 

I have pressed the restart button and waited 30 mins but still just a solid orange base light 

This isn't a red light that's to do with over heating, ive moved it to an even more open space just incase but I'm just getting an orange light 

The WiFi connection comes up but when I connect it says I'm connected but with no Internet and on my computer it just doesn't come up with a network I can connect to 

Any help is appreciated but reading the other forum, I believe I have a dodgy router!

Best Regards,

Hayden 

8 REPLIES 8

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Did you have a previous Hub, or is this a new connection? 

Did you call the activation number?

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Hey,

Thanks for the reply, I had a superhub 1 I think it was called

Didn't see any info about a activation number in the info I was given, ive been with virgin for yearssss

When I plugged my old router back in,  my Internet started working fine again 

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

You'll need to connect the new Hub and call the activation line. 0800 561 0061.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Hello Haydough

Thanks for your post and sorry to hear about the issue with activation 

Have you been able to get this sorted yet?

If not, I have sent you a private message to gain account access

Please ignore it if you dont require any assistance

Gareth_L

Eeeps
Well-informed

My thought on the colour of the indicator is this.

There are three LEDs in the hub - one of each primary colour.
I believe the blue LED is not quite a bright as the others.
Thus a white indicator shows as orange / yellow and a purple indicator (for modem mode) shows as pink / red.

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Potentially that's correct, question is why the blue output would decline.  The odd one in any large enough batch will go bad but I've never yet seen a reported case of a Hub 3 status LED showing either turquoise (red diode failure) or solid blue only (red + green failure), but often amber, yellow, orange, pink and red so if we're talking about LED failure then it only ever affects the blue diode.  Since the blue diodes would have been QC'd at manufacture, and designed for what, 30,000 hours MTBF with a handsome safety margin, persistent blue-only failure or output decay seems improbable based on diode sample failure, or even resistor failure on the supply voltage.  But it could be created by a VRM problem if the hub uses those internally, or PSU fault as the blue diode needs a higher driver voltage, or for that matter power drain voltage drop caused by another component fault.  If any of those apply and the hub's power circuitry is struggling, that will have all manner of odd and often inconsistent symptoms when trying to maintain a DOCSIS connection.

Wasn't really trying to suggest a cause for this and I agree failure is not likely.
Indeed I've not seen any reports of these 'erroneous' colours occurring on a hub that was previously showing correctly.

What is more likely is that the particular LED component used in the manufacture of some hubs may have had an intrinsically lower output, maybe as a result of supply difficulties with the originally specified component - it's only an indicator after all!
(Could even be a result of a bit of 'value engineering')

It's also possible that a batch of hubs were manufactured with the incorrect load resistors.

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello Haydough

I just wanted to let you know if you need help there was a Private message sent 

If it is all okay 

Would you be able to update this post 

Gareth_L