Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Offer of free Hub4?

Had a call today from a Virgin media call centre in India I think. They were offering me a free upgrade to the Hub 4 from my current hub 3. I think it was legit as they knew my name and Virgin are apparently rolling out this upgrade in some conjested areas. They are calling me back this evening.

Is it a good idea to upgrade to the Hub 4? I currently have the M200 broadband bundled with my TV and Phone deal. We don't have too many problems with our connection (the odd wifi drop aside) and we are quite heavy users but don't typically have any real problems.

Would I get any advantage to the upgrading to the hub 4, would be upload or download speeds be faster? Would I be likely to have any issues with setting up the hub four and getting devices to connect?

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Offer of free Hub4?

The hub4 is DOCSIS 3.1 kit (as opposed to the hub3 which is only DOCSIS 3). So it can connect to 32 downstream channels as opposed to 24. In areas where the downstream network has been upgraded this may improve performance. The WiFi is also rumoured to be better.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Ok so that sounds like it would be worth taking the offer if it is at no cost to us.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Then again, if you are suffering no problems with your hub 3, then, considering the number of complaints about hub 4 at the moment on this forum, it maybe worthwhile to hand fire for a small time... 

Going back to the 3 if the 4 turns out worse for you doesn't seem that easy. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I received the same call a couple of weeks ago and installed the Hub 4. I'm only using it in modem mode. 

It's made a marginal improvement to ping times, nothing significant. Apart from that no difference, but being DOCSIS 3.1 makes it more future proof.

I doubt that the WiFi would be much better because it's still restricted by having only cramped internal aerials.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Whilst there are some issues with the Hub 4, I think the situation is that if you're offered one proactively by VM then you are probably best off taking it because there's a good reason.  If you're not being offered one, don't seek one out because of the teething issues, and because it won't improve the service.

I would also note that some scammers with offshore locations are already using random calls that start along the lines "Your ISP wants to offer you an upgrade to your internet hub" as a means of conning people into revealing account or payment details, so caution is needed.  It's a pity that VM are using offshore outbound calling to roll out the Hub 4 as it helps the crooks' game, whereas postal communication to customers to announce, explain and offer the Hub 4 would be (relatively) more secure.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for all the advice, in the event the person from virginmedia did not call us back so not sure what will happen now. I agree it would be better to have recieved a letter or email offering the upgrade as i am concerned about these sort of calls being a scam. A few weeks ago we were getting a lot of calls from someone claiming to be from virgin media saying our hub has viruses on it. When I asked them for some evidence that they were from VM they would just hang up on me so I assume that was a scam, so perhaps this was just another scam with a different hook. They did know my name this time though.

I won't pursue the upgrade to the Hub 4 if they call back then perhaps but I won't give out any information about my account etc.

Highlighted
Community elder
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You're right to be cautious about any unexpected call asking for personal details. 

In my case the caller simply asked for me by name and offered the Hub 4 replacement. Said it would be delivered within three days, and it was. Took a couple of hours after the activation before it actually connected. 

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks that is useful information, and that wound similer to our call. Also for info on the length of time it took to connect. If I get it I will do it on a day I don't need to be online for work!

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi paisleypark,
With reference to your scam calls.
We have this morning alone received 5 scam calls to our unlisted number, from an offshore personage claiming to be from "Virgin Media Technical Support" alluding to a problem on our router 🙂
I do enjoy a good banter with them, until they get fed up and clear down!
Stay happy!
Broadband / Phone
0 Kudos