cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OX17

Jacquih14
Tuning in

I’m sorry if this is the wrong board, I couldn’t find a new service one. 

I searched and saw that OX17 wasn’t being considered in 2019 but nothing after that. Is there ever going to be a time that we get Virgin in our area? It’s all around us and I can almost guarantee you’d get so many new customers. We don’t have that much choice and with EE now finished supporting their TV service all we really have is BT and Sky, both I’d rather avoid. My son has Virgin and it’s amazing. Please consider us in Banbury and surrounding villages. The amount of new housing estates being built would definitely be beneficial for you. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What you have to be aware of is that VM network infrastructure only covers around 45% of the country. This is made up of numerous franchise areas that were built by 30 to 40 companies in the 1990s. Building these proved too expensive for a lot of these companies. The majority either went bust with incomplete network builds, or merged into larger & larger companies.

Banbury was originally linked to the Oxford franchise, but due to financial pressures the network services never left the bounds of Oxford. There was however some progress toward Bicester which was later abandoned. VM have now added to this (it was only a few miles short) & set up full fibre services. Banbury is not so lucky. There is absolutely no infrastructure between Bicester & Warwick. Also Warwick is a West Midlands franchise & build out from this direction would not be possible.

Even if it did happen, the future of linear channel TV services is finite. Streaming internet services like Netflix now account for nearly half of all TV viewing. With advertising revenue going down & production costs rising TV channel owners are going to find it harder & harder to justify their existence in a few years time.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

13 REPLIES 13

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Jacquih14, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Forums. It's great to have you on board with us in the Community and even better that you are wanting Virgin Media services. 

Even though we are not currently available to install you, I am happy to find out if there are any current plans in the making for you. To do that I will need your full address. I have sent you a private message regarding this. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thank you for your reply. I’ve sent the info. Fingers crossed we can get it 🙂 

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

HI Jacquih14, 

Thanks for coming back to me on this via private message. 

I have forwarded your details over to the relevant teams and will be in touch to let you know what they say once I receive a reply. 

Speak soon, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Jacquih14,

Thanks for your patience whilst I waited for the lightning teams to come back to me on this one. 

They have confirmed that as of yet, there are no plans in place to install your area I'm afraid. 

I know this isn't the news you'd be hoping for however make sure you register your address with us here, if you haven't already. Once registered the team can get some plans on the go to come to your area 🙂

Take care and apologies once again. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Ah ok, gutted. Thank you for helping me. I’ve registered my address. 

Have a lovely weekend 😊

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What you have to be aware of is that VM network infrastructure only covers around 45% of the country. This is made up of numerous franchise areas that were built by 30 to 40 companies in the 1990s. Building these proved too expensive for a lot of these companies. The majority either went bust with incomplete network builds, or merged into larger & larger companies.

Banbury was originally linked to the Oxford franchise, but due to financial pressures the network services never left the bounds of Oxford. There was however some progress toward Bicester which was later abandoned. VM have now added to this (it was only a few miles short) & set up full fibre services. Banbury is not so lucky. There is absolutely no infrastructure between Bicester & Warwick. Also Warwick is a West Midlands franchise & build out from this direction would not be possible.

Even if it did happen, the future of linear channel TV services is finite. Streaming internet services like Netflix now account for nearly half of all TV viewing. With advertising revenue going down & production costs rising TV channel owners are going to find it harder & harder to justify their existence in a few years time.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thank you so much for your reply. Very helpful.  I knew it was close but just couldn’t understand why it wasn’t here. Guess I’ll have to go with BT at some point, only using freeview at the moment. Again, thank you so much, at least I know why now 🙂

Thank you again @Jacquih14 for your interest in joining us. Hopefully we'll see you soon! 

@nodrogd - Thank you so much for that information and helping on this post. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Hi again, sorry for bothering you. I’ve heard that gigaclear are coming here soon. Do you think that may help get Virgin here or does it not work like that? Sorry I’m thick with stuff like this. They’re saying we will be able to get up to 900meg. They aren’t my first choice as they’re not Virgin and don’t have a tv option but the speed is perfect for a gamer son. It’s 18 month contracts and I just don’t want to commit to it if there’s a chance Virgin may get here once the high speed fibre etc is in place. Thank you