Menu
Project2501
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Not happy about the installation work

Had Virgin broadband installed recently. The internal work is good, looks neat and we have no issues regarding it.

The outside work feels rushed, ill executed and generally poor. We asked for the cables to be ran above the previous cable (from the Sky dish) in the mortar and to follow the same path as that cable. Instead the cable mostly runs mid brick work with the fixings that are meant to hold the cable in place loose and some have already come away from the wall. Where the cable meets the gas and electric meters rather than going under these (neatly as the previous cable did) it goes over and is ugly in appearance.

The cables split mid wall, one goes upwards towards the first floor where it is cable tied to our drain pipe rather than more appropriate mortar fixings and where it enters the wall there is no kind of cover over the hole. Where the rest of the cable heads down the wall to the ground floor the cable is angled awkwardly into the external rubber cover which means the cover cannot sit flat and is being pulled away from the wall (which is easy as it is only held by some ineffective and liberally applied glue).

I again have to mention that it is only the work carried out on the external of the property that is of dissatisfying quality and that the internal work (all carried out by one installer while the other did the external) was of good quality.

I just want to know how this can be acceptable and what virgin can do about this as it's made me pretty damn annoyed. 

Pictures (annotated):

1.pngCables going over what they should be going under2.pngCover?3.pngLayout4.pngWhy?5.png

chenks
Wise owl
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Not happy about the installation work

IMO the cables should not be behind/underneath that white vertical panel.
it is screwed to the wall for a reason, and any cable going behind it will suffer chafing eventually.
just because the sky cable goes behind doesn't mean that it should.

the rest of it, whilst maybe being a tad untidy, is of no great concern to me.
0 Kudos
JoelTheSuperior
Joining in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@chenks wrote:
IMO the cables should not be behind/underneath that white vertical panel.
it is screwed to the wall for a reason, and any cable going behind it will suffer chafing eventually.
just because the sky cable goes behind doesn't mean that it should.

the rest of it, whilst maybe being a tad untidy, is of no great concern to me.

Agreed. Nothing wrong with going over the white panel and it looks like a fairly typical install to me. I'm not a huge fan of how they cable tied it to the drainpipe and the glue on the outside panel is a bit dodgy but the rest is fine in my opinion. 

0 Kudos
dnpark38
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Maybe the Sky cable was there before the white trunking, I can't think Sky with all their H&S rules or any other installer would touch the

trunking and electric cables.

As said only bad bit is the cover over where the entry hole is, to set it flat will need to be some slack in cable or place it at an angle.  If mine I would take it off and put it back correctly.

"VM 50 Mps Broadband and anytime phone."
0 Kudos
brooksy79
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

WOW that is really poor work, Problem is engineers want to be in and out.

Project2501
Tuning in
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I should also mention when we were discussing the installation we made clear the new cables would mirror the Sky cables but in the mortar above them, this meant a brick above neatly held in the groove (see picture) and going wherever the Sky cable went. They voiced no concerns at any point about going under the plastic cover and seemed to understand the mortar comment but instead most of the cable simply runs mid brick and is held in place by a few clips which struggle as they can't reach the mortar in between the bricks with the cable going over the brick. 

•  6.pngCable mid brick

The thing that bothers me about all of this is these are obvious things that should have just been done better and with more care. An extra cover over the drain pipe, clips rather than a cable tie on the drain pipe, the cable being between bricks rather than over, the angle of the cable going in the lower cover and cables not wrapping around previously existing cables. It just smacks of a rushed job by a person that doesn't take pride in what they're doing. 

0 Kudos
dnpark38
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I can read your response but can't see your photo yet, takes about a day for photos to appear here, well I think as I said only the cover is bad.

Regarding the drain pipe I think that is a good idea to hide the cable behind the drain pipe.

On my installation my 2 man team listened to my suggestions and were happy to do them.   ( they got covers ok)

You have been told the installers rush mine did not, they stayed until they were sure everything was working correctly, then phone back to base to report. They were then asked to put me on the phone and I was asked if I was happy with everything.

"VM 50 Mps Broadband and anytime phone."
0 Kudos
Project2501
Tuning in
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

UPDATE: Virgin have organised a visit for someone to come over and have a look. 

0 Kudos
happywithmy350
Well-informed
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Sounds like it's just you being over fussy - chill out dude life is to short to care about cabling and wiring! I hope they are charging you for coming out - as it's at your request over something so so trivial

Sorry but it is!

Ricmcdermott
Dialled in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

What happywithmy350 said