cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No wall socket?

afireworkdaze
Joining in

Hi everyone,

We have been with VM for many years, since Telewest days. We have been constant customers since then. My dad passed away earlier this month and we've cancelled our contract and taken out a new one with an upgrade. All this backstory to tell you at the moment we have a hub (I'm not sure which) and a TiVo box and a VM phoneline.

I've been looking online at installation for our new boxes, and I've seen mentions of a wall socket. We don't have a VM wall socket. We seem to have white cables that come in from outside by the phone socket. I have a white coaxial that goes from downstairs into my room, connected up to the current hub. Downstairs we also have one white wire that is connected to the TiVo. Will these be sufficient for our new boxes? Will my router now need to be downstairs (which is not a problem, just a question)

Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5

GraemeJohn
Tuning in

Hi there!

I went and wrote a blog post about VM wall sockets right here. https://itblogpros.com/do-you-need-a-virgin-media-wall-socket-getting-connected-for-beginners/

It  covers a lot of the basics and I've been getting some good feedback on it. 

Hope this helps anyone else that has questions about their Virgin Media wall sockets.

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @afireworkdaze

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

Regarding the new boxes - do you mean the V6 boxes? You shouldn't need to move your Hub as the boxes can be connected via WiFi. If you speak to the team around your upgrade they'll be able to clarify what you need etc and will get this booked in for you.

If anything additional needed to be installed they'd also get a technician booked in for this but it looks as though you already have the wallsockets necessary to upgrade if you already have TiVo boxes installed.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your replies. Virgin Media box and hub arrived today, and I've managed to set it all up. 

I still have two issues.
1) my phone is downstairs and my hub is upstairs. How can I connect the two without having to have my phone up there too?
2) I need a label for the return of the old hub and the old box?

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As regards the phone location you have two options:

1) Invest in a set of DECT cordless handsets. This is the best solution. The base unit & one handset plug in next to the hub. The remaining handets then can be plugged into any other power socket in the house & are completely portable.

2) Call Virgin & book a technican to wire the hub to the exiting master socket. This will be free if you ask for it IMMEDIATELY, otherwiswe you are looking at a £25 callout charge. The disadvantage with this is a wire going through the house that you might not want to have.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for coming back to us @afireworkdaze.

1) my phone is downstairs and my hub is upstairs. How can I connect the two without having to have my phone up there too?

We can arrange for a technician visit to wire the hub to the existing master socket as @nodrogd said in the latest post. I can do that from here, if you'd like to do this.

2) I need a label for the return of the old hub and the old box?

Did a returns label not arrive with your new equipment? This should be sent with new equipment.

Regards,

Steven_L