cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No wall box - but there are cables

Apples123
Joining in

Hello,

Just ordered the Quick Start with Virgin as the previous house owners were on Virgin. However, the wall box isn't present inside, but we do have this cable coming into the house (which attaches directly from the brown Virgin box outside the house).

Virgin wall cable__.jpg

We also have these cables, which (I think!) were attached to the wall box before it was removed.

Virgin cables_.jpg

Are we likely to have everything we need to set up? (except the actual plastic wall box).

Any help much appreciated! 

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Just get one of these for the black cable and the quickstart cable will just push on.

Tristar Data cable coupler | DIY at B&Q

However, that also looks like a powered amp, in the other "yellow spotty" picture, so that may need to be sorted by an engineer.  They are usually used when the property is too far from the street cabinet to give a decent signal to the Hub.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

screw the black cable into the hub and see what happens - if its live the hub should get a white power light ater it goes through its boot routine - that can take a while

if you do get a white light or not you may need to activate the hub - 0800 953 9500 - from there 

log into hub3 - 192.168.0.1 [or 192.168.100.1 if in modem mode] - DON'T SIGN IN, click - click router status [centre of screen] - and look at the downstream and upstream figures - to see those press on the grey buttons/boxes labelled - upstream - downstream and inital connection screen 

the other item is a powered amp as said or a powered splitter - you may need that if so you need to connect the black cable to the input port and the cable that came with the quickstart to the output and then to the hub - obviously plug the power adaptor in

if non of that makes sense then wait for VM to get to the thread - they should book a tech or ring and just say its not working - leave the hub disconnected if you ring

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Thank you both for this, so helpful. 

The Virgin delivery is due at end of the week, so I'll plug in and see what happens.... Fingers crossed we have everything we need.

Thanks for the explanation about the powered amp. I'll assume that if previous owners used it, it'll be likely that we will need it too!

Post deleted.

Hello Apples123

Thanks for posting in regards to the current cabling and to see what is needed for your new QuickStart order, we appreciate you taking the time to raise this and welcome to the community.

As per usual our forum members have come up trumps and provided you with all of the required information, let us know if you need us again once your delivery has arrived or if you need any help with the set up.

Thanks

Rob