cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No ranging response received - T3 time out

leftsider
On our wavelength

My WiFi intermittently drops out. Looking at the router pages I see the critical error “No ranging response received. T3 time out”

I haven’t correlated this with the dropouts experienced but since the log shows 9 such occurrences in the last 11 days it will be a good bet.

can these be fixed?

Additionally my WiFi signal strength is very poor. I get around 10% of the router speed in my living room, with my router in the bedroom about 15 feet away. My neighbour’s WiFi (further away) is much stronger. There is no signal at all in my son’s room across the hall. Is there a way to boost the signal strength?

lastly my hub 3 power light is constantly orange an the hub is hot to the touch. Having done multiple reboots and factory resets I believe that the hub is defective, but when I call I am always told that a remote repair is complete and then left for the problems to continue.

Hopefully someone on here can help

15 REPLIES 15

We just lost service again at 16:00. The router page eventually reappeared at 16:09. There are no further entries in the network log. This is exactly what I suffer everyday. The signal just disappears for minutes at a time. The WiFi signal is vey weak. When it does come back it is blisteringly fast for a few minutes.

Do VM read this forum. If so could a ticket be raised? This router is garbage.

what does the orange light indicate? Everything online says it should be white. Why is the router so hot?

It transpires that not everybody suffered an outage at 4pm. Just my device. This is also symptomatic of my issues. It does appear that the internal WiFi is the issue, not the broadband. Often devices disconnect while others continue to work. Looking at the “connected devices” show massive disparity in connection speed for devices in the same room. This iPad I’m on now shows a speed of 36mb. The TV in the same room shows 342mb.

How can I get the router swapped out?

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
As I said - if the postRS errors are still accumulating (are they?) then call it in as a fault

Or a VM person will respond on here in a day or so and take a look.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

I wanted to reply earlier, we settled to watch a film on Prime but the TV could not connect. I spent 20 mins trying to reconnect but the IP received every time was internal (169.x.x.x). Eventually I had to bite the bullet and reboot the router for the third time today.

The errors have not returned ( we saw the whole movie) but I 100% know they will.

I’m on an iPad so cannot post the results, but pre and post rs errors are all less than 20 for now

incidently through all the attempts to reconnect the tv the internet connection was working fine on my son’s pc in the next room. This I why I suspect the WiFi or the dhcp service. Perhaps the end of the lease stops reconnection? I need advice here

Firstly, don't worry too much about the occasional T3 timeout, even though they are marked as 'critical' in the log.

Secondly, you need to separate the problems associated with the two connections the SH establishes; The external DOCSIS cable side and the internal LAN side.

Looks like you may have problems on both. The post RS errors on your Acquired Downstream Channel indicate a slight problem with the DOCSIS side.
The inability for your wireless devices to get an internal IP address seems to show a problem with signal levels on 
WiFi.

Regarding the orange power light, this may well be normal. Can you quantify how hot the modem gets - they do run warm.

Now to some diagnosis.
The best way to diagnose issues on the DOCSIS side it to connect a device via an Ethernet cable directly to the modem and run some speed test like that.
Also check if you still have a connection via that route when other wireless devices fail.
Separate to that, you may have seen a diagnostic tool that's available from www.thinkbroadband.com. Known as a Broadband Quality Monitor (BQM) this is a free services that actively pings your connection every second. It can show up many kinds of faults on the Internet side.

On the WiFi side, there are some good scanning apps you can get that display signal strength and channels in use. This can help in selecting the best channels to use.
Whilst you could get reasonable WiFi coverage with the SH, many people bite the bullet and spend a bit of cash on their own WiFi systems that work with the SH (or indeed any other providers router).
There are many options if you go down that route including my solution of multiple Ethernet connected Wireless Access Points (WAPs or just APs)

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @leftsider

Welcome back to our Community Help Forum 🙂

Sorry to see that you are experiencing these issues with your connection and your router. I'd like to take a look further into this for you and book an engineer if needed.

I will send you a private message now to obtain the details required, please look out for the purple envelope in the top right corner.

Kind regards,

Serena