cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No isolator cable

Charlie221
Tuning in

Got my V6 self-install kit today. No isolator cable. The virgin help video clearly shows an isolator cable.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
yes you can use the same cable as the tivo

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

Charlie221
Tuning in

How do install V6 box without a new isolator cable?

Can I use the one thats currently plugged into the tivo box - its about 20 years old?

Anonymous
Not applicable
yes you can use the same cable as the tivo

Do you have VM's broadband? If you don't you'll have to install the hub which requires the cable to be split.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Thanks apcyberax.

Is there any value in getting a new isolator cable (as I say the current one is about 20 years old - I think it came with Telewest)?

Or wouldn't it make any difference?

Roger,

Yep, got the broadband hub delivered with the kit. (I switching from tivo with no broadband to V6 with broadband).

I think it was the virgin self-install video that confused me - as it shows a New isolator cable as being supplied ("use the black band end" etc. My current isolator cable is so old, it has no 'black band').

It's not an isolator cable you've got, just an old fashioned coaxial cable connected to the isolator. As advised the V6 is just a straight swap for the TiVo and all you need do is to connect the V6 to the hub (best done with an Ethernet cable).

--

I'm totally confused now.

What is the correct installation system now?

I have an installation which is about two years old and have...

Omni Box
=======

Incoming cable -> Splitter -> through wall to living room
                                          -> Coax to upstairs bedroom

Livingroom -> Isolator -> splitter -> SH3
                                                    -> Living room V6

Bedroom Coax -> Inline Isolator -> Bed room V6

The inline isolator is a cylindrical unit encased in a plastic shroud that prevents it touching anything that may be earthed.

So what is this 'isolation cable'? Is it a new device? 

On that bit, I'm confused as you.

Basically, from what I've been told, I currently I have a coax cable, which connects the internal wall socket (mines labelled 'telewest" but apart from that the socket looks the same as the virgin one) directly to the tivo box. From what I've been told, if I've understood correctly, that thankfully, this coax cable can be used with the V6 (i.e. connect the coax cable to the splitter and then link everything up).

What confused me, is that virgin both in its paper Installation Guide, and in its 'Installing your V6' video specifically mention the "isolator cable", and shows it being supplied.  Would be interested to know what this is? And how, if any, the coax cable and isolator cable differ? And in what different scenarios they are used?

But really, I'm just glad that it looks like I can set up the new V6 tomorrow morning with no issues.

@Eeeps wrote:

I'm totally confused now.

What is the correct installation system now?

I have an installation which is about two years old and have...

Omni Box
=======

Incoming cable -> Splitter -> through wall to living room
                                          -> Coax to upstairs bedroom

Livingroom -> Isolator -> splitter -> SH3
                                                    -> Living room V6

Bedroom Coax -> Inline Isolator -> Bed room V6

The inline isolator is a cylindrical unit encased in a plastic shroud that prevents it touching anything that may be earthed.

So what is this 'isolation cable'? Is it a new device? 

I don't know why you have two isolators when only one is needed for the incoming cable.

The isolator cable is used to connect the hub or splitter to the wall socket, it's a push fit at both ends which has been in use for some years.

--