cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No internet, hub says it's "updating"

lina101
Joining in

Internet has been out for hours, have restarted it a few times, and Virgin apparently doesn't do phone support in the evenings. When I check the router status on our hub 3.0 it says there's an update in progress. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Cable Modem Status
Item Status Comments
Acquired Downstream Channel (Hz)
Update in progress
Scanning
Ranged Upstream Channel (Hz)
Update in progress
Provisioning State

Network log

26/05/2019 11:22:53 Error DHCP REBIND WARNING - Field invalid in response;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
26/05/2019 20:01:27 Warning! RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
26/05/2019 20:01:27 critical SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
26/05/2019 20:01:27 Warning! RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
26/05/2019 20:01:27 critical SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
26/05/2019 20:01:33 Warning! Lost MDD Timeout;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

18 REPLIES 18

cje85
Trouble shooter

@johnaa wrote:

The installation guide step 1 is 'Activate your service'.  My service is already activated so I skipped that step. 

That could be the problem. When I upgraded to the Hub 3 about two years ago, it was necessary to activate the hub even though my broadband service was already active. This simply involved calling a freephone number to an automated service. As far as I know any new box/hub from Virgin requires activation.. 

Tudor, pity the dog was away.  

Have now 'activated service' and have working internet on hub 3.  So it looks like 'activate you service' really does mean 'activate service on your new device'.

But I now have a red permanent light on the bottom of the modem which according to the guide 'anything colour other that white' means 'may have connection issues'. 

I call Virgin support and they tell me unconfidentally that it's because:
it's 'taking some signals' or 
Virgin might be doing some diagnostics. 

She didn't appear to have a Hub 3 manual either.  Perhaps it's because I'm running in modem mode. 

But she suggests I wait a few hours, then if still red, reboot. 

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

Modem only mode is magenta so it can be hard to see the color correctly I have mine in mode only mode and looking at it at different angles looks red, purple or pink.

Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks @cje85.

Thanks @DJ_Shadow1966.  How do you know 'Modem only mode is magenta' ?  Have you seen a user guide that Virgin support staff don't have? 

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

It is all over the net and has been posted many times in the forum that the hub when in modem only mode it is magenta. Both VM staff members and also VIP members have made this comment.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

@johnaa wrote:

Thanks @cje85.

Thanks @DJ_Shadow1966.  How do you know 'Modem only mode is magenta' ?  Have you seen a user guide that Virgin support staff don't have? 

There is a VM help page which may throw some light (sorry..) on this topic: 

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-what-do-the-lights-on-your-hub-mean#hub3

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.

@Sololobo Thanks for the link to 'what do the lights on your hub mean'.  But according to that guide magenta/red means that the hub is hot not that it's in modem mode.  Very confusing to me and surely others.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

From another thread.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Help/What-do-the-lights-on-my-router-mean/td-p/3166589

Magenta is Modem mode ......  😉