cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No installation for over 2 months!?

eze1510
Tuning in

I signed up for VM on 10th April and scheduled my appointment, first available on 9th May.

Received a call and email today (less than 24 hours to installation) advising the appointment has changed to 24th May due to some connection work they need to do. 

This is outrageous and obviously shows VM has done no due diligence about verifying the connection when they have had a month to do so. 

Is there anything that can be done to get the appointment this week? Otherwise we will be cancelling as this shows a lack of respect for the customer, not to mention the additional cost now of trying to get another provider to support. 

24 REPLIES 24

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
See this....
The current VM installation process is badly managed when things aren’t straightforward and cable repulls are needed. So dont bother chasing it. Just let the installation play out. Do nothing. You will pay nothing (£0) until a VM connection is actually installed and activated. And even from then (if it gets that far) you have 14 days in which to cancel - again with no costs. Or keep it if you like it after those 14 days

In the meantime, can you connect to OR, Sky, BT etc - or to a 4G/5G service - perhaps on a 30-day contract? Three have a 30day 4G unlimited package for ~£20. If so, do it now and just let the VM install run its course. As said, you will pay nothing until VM's service is installed and operational. When it finally happens, you have 14 days in which to cancel it at no cost to yourself and keep the other service. Or, if VM is working to your satisfaction, keep it and cancel the other service (hence better if you took a 30-day contract).

FYI - Re. VM’s recent installation issues - see John’s excellent précis of the situation in message 18 here…

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Multiple-Failed-Installations-zero-commun...

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi eze1510

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

I'm really sorry for the install delay and I fully appreciate how frustrating this must be.

From checking the system, it appears further construction work is needed before we'll be able to install you. Normally all install do take place on the date agreed. However, on occasion, extra work is required and we get this done asap to minimise any inconvenience caused. Apologies again for the delay.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@John_GS wrote:

Hi eze1510

I'm really sorry for the install delay and I fully appreciate how frustrating this must be.

From checking the system, it appears further construction work is needed before we'll be able to install you. Normally all install do take place on the date agreed. However, on occasion, extra work is required and we get this done asap to minimise any inconvenience caused. Apologies again for the delay.

Best,

i am just cleaning the coffee off my screen that i spit out as i choked reading the bit in red

lets have the truth here

Normally some installs do take place on the date agreed

others can define some 

the record that we know of from order to install is 365 days dues it needing some extra work and that may have been broken last week as another one ticked over the year but i dont know if the the hopeful customer has updated the thread

so 2 months delay - in the scheme of the 2 i point out - nothing to worry about

on a more serious note to the OP make sure you get the fiver a day for VM messing you about and dont cancel let it happen and cancel in the14 day cooling off period - VM will try and not pay you compensation if you cancel - afaik they legally have to but that wont stop them trying to get out of it - CISAS may be needed

Tony.
Sacked VIP

@-tony- wrote:

@John_GS wrote:

Hi eze1510

Best,

Snip...

afaik they legally have to but that wont stop them trying to get out of it - CISAS may be needed

And if push comes to shove, don't forget to post back here because we can be quite good and advising  on how to escalate this to CISAS (the industry regulator) and get you what you are owed plus compensation.

Other than that; @-tony- is quite right, two months delay? Pathetic, that's nothing in VM's timescales!

Well the plot thickens…

Engineers were supposed to come tomorrow - received a call an hour ago saying it’s been rescheduled now until 7JUN because “construction” delays. Less than 24 hour notice.

There has been no construction, no changes and obviously no engineer to even come and see if any construction is required.

After hours on the phone to Virgin Media there is no solution. 

I now fear we won’t have broadband for a few years whilst VM keeps delaying us endlessly with less than 24 hour notice.

Any advise on where this can be escalated and how to raise to regulator as this has become simply unacceptable

Also anyone know what compensation is due and how to claim it from VM?

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

You cannot escalate because there is no way to do so.

Virginmedia doesn't really care whether you wait until their subcontractors can be bothered to do some digging, or go away and save them the trouble. It's really your choice.

As to compensation, they have a few ways of avoiding it. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

VM appear to work to geological timescales when it comes to installations.

There is Ofcom guidance https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/costs-and-billing/automat...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey VM forum team your rates for compo on your website are all wrong and suggest a lack of care and interest in your customers and in compliance https://www.virginmedia.com/help/billing-and-payments/automatic-compensation

Hi @eze1510 thanks for your post although I'm sorry to hear of your further concerns raised.

I can certainly look to raise a complaint for you, and get this escalated to our pre-installs team for you.

Please allow me to send you a PM so please expect this shortly and respond directly when you can!

@Anonymous can you kindly advise which rates on our automatic compensation are wrong, can you provide screenshots?

Many thanks

Tom_W