cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No installation after over 3 months of waiting

JakeDani
Tuning in

So we moved into our property on the 14th January. Original installation was due the next week. Was told there was some building work that needed doing so there was a delay. The contractors came and did the building work in mid January. So far, so not so bad.

The VM access point is under an unallocated car parking space, so I've had my car parked there since January to make sure they've got access to it.

It's now 13th April and our installation has still not happened. Every time I call VM, I get the same response of "there's some building work that needs doing, but it'll definitely be done this time". 5 delays since the original install date and 5 times of being told "it'll definitely be done" and "I've emailed the local manager", it's still not in.

To say this is unacceptable is a massive understatement. We've not been able to use our car in 3 months because the pre install team can't be bothered to show up. The last time i spoke to someone, they said there was still building work to be done, but I spoke to the contractors in January and they said it was ready to be installed. Absolute shambles. It took me less time to buy a house than it has for VM to install the internet there.

Current install date is the 26th April (a full 3.5 months after we moved in), but I can't say I'm holding out hope it'll actually be done. Without a doubt though, if it's missed again, I'll be moving providers.

10 REPLIES 10

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Common issue these days - see this

The current VM installation process is badly managed when things arent straightforward. So dont bother chasing it. Let them play their games and let the installation play out. Do nothing. You pay nothing (£0) until a VM connection is installed and activated. And even from then (if it gets that far) you have 14 days in which to cancel - again with no costs. Or keep it if you like it in those 14 days

Can you connect to OR,Sky, BT etc - or a 4G/5G service - perhaps on a 30-day contract? Three and Smarty have a 30day 4G unlimited package for £20 (or less on a deal). If so, do it now and just let the VM install run its course. You will pay nothing until VM's service is installed and operational. When it finally happens, you have 14 days in which to cancel it at no cost to yourself and keep the other service. Or, if VM is working to your satisfaction, keep it and cancel the other service (hence better if you took a 30-day contract).

Also... FYI - Re. VM’s installation issues - see John’s excellent précis of the situation in messsage 18 here…

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Multiple-Failed-Installations-zero-commun...

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Cheers for posting that and the link to that topic. Seems I'm in the same situation too then (just inside the M25, external contractors, never to be installed etc).

The additional problem I have is the parking situation with the access point, as even if I did keep them rolling for the infinite number of appointments it'll probably take to get it done, they then probably won't be able to get to the access point as there'll be another car parked over it.

It's pretty crazy how much they seem to not want certain business. I've been with virgin for a few years now and it's just got worse and worse and this situation is likely to be the final straw for me. If only hyperoptic came out this far!

Hi JakeDani, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear about the constant reschedules. We can certainly take a look to find out the latest information as well as getting a complaint raised and assigned over to the relevant team for you. 

I just need to confirm some information with you in order to pass data protection. I have sent you a private message regarding this. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

We can certainly take a look to find out the latest information as well as getting a complaint raised and assigned over to the relevant team for you. 

With the greatest respect to the forum staff (and in particular the legendary Kath_F), you are trying to do an impossible job trying to remediate the persistent failings in other areas of VM's Laurel & Hardy operations.  I don't believe that anybody has been successful in getting useful and accurate information or escalating cases of notably delayed installations.   And on a similar tack, raising a complaint seems likely to fuel rather than calm customer dissatisfaction when it will be fobbed off by offshore staff who can neither understand nor resolve those complaints (as my own recent complaint demonstrates). 

What is required here is for senior management to grasp what a complete _ _ _ _ show installations have been for two years or so now, and to solve a problem they successfully (and entirely forseeably) created.  Until that happens, the forum staff are being hung out to dry, whilst senior management are simply laughing at customers who choose to endure the behaviours of the company.

Hi @JakeDani

Thanks for coming back to me via private message. We only need to use this when swapping account sensitive or personal information. Anything else can be spoken about via the Community 🙂 

I completely understand the frustration but as I don't know why the delays are happening, I can't say I'm afraid. 

The complaint is raised and sitting with the correct team and I have also emailed them the information. Someone should be in touch with you soon to discuss things. I can't say when as due to the Bank Holidays there may be some delays but if you've still not heard anything by this time next week, pop back here so I can give them a little nudge. 

Apologies once again. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

So in what will come as a surprise to no-one, a week has gone by and no call from anyone at virgin and no pre-install completed.

Seems like I'll be giving BT a ring on Tuesday when I inevitably get the "Your installation has been delayed" message.

So we have progress! The guys came today and are running the cables now. Slight issue in that a car is now parked over the cabinet, but they're either going to use a dead cable to pull it or just come back on Monday to run that final piece.

It's still ridiculous the time it's taken to get to this stage, but the forum team seem to be the only competent people at VM! Want to say a big thank you to Kath for actually getting this sorted and will probably come straight to the forum next time instead of messing about ringing the call centres!

Hi @JakeDani

Thanks for coming back to me via private message to let me know the repull team have now attended. 

Hopefully this puts us one step forward ready for your install. 

As always please keep me posted on how things go and if you need further support, you know where I am. 

Many thanks. 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Hi Kath

So the pre-install guys that came on Saturday said they'd be coming back today to finish off the pre-pull in time for the installation tomorrow. No sign of them yet, but fingers crossed they'll show up. The guy said they'd come back every day until the job is finished now.

They did leave the access point completely open, so myself and a neighbour had to put some cones around it to make sure no-one fell down it, which wasn't ideal, but obviously that's a fault on avonline's side.

I'll reply back later if we're all in