cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No connection, strange wiring, getting an engineer, or ideas.

FredChicken
Joining in

Moved into a new house, rental, landlord believes Virgin was working fine for last tennants although had been empty for a bit.

Ordered a quick install, strangely, and confusingly, Virgin initally changed delivery of kit to "engineer visit in late September", changed that to yesterday, but then no engineer turned up, just a quick start kit delivery.  I had no reason to believe a quick start kit delivery wouldn't work, so just cracked on.

There are two indoor white boxes, only one of which has an actual connector coming out (the other just has a coax with a male connector inside and no silver box with a female connector?)  Plugged cables into this one, but hub 3.0 just flashing green light, from the docs - no signal on the broadband, makes sense if the wires aren't actually connected.

Checked actual cable (as the house also has cut phone lines going to various places around it) and visually and into the outdoor brown box the cable looks fine, the outdoor box full of snails and stuff, but there's a splitter sending the cable to both white boxes and again otherwise seeming fine.   But is there a problem with the bare box downstream of the splitter?   I tried swapping the white boxes over, made no difference.

The phone support are just stuck on their scripts of getting me to check the wiring and wait again, after one I did get an SMS saying "okay - let's get cracking! everything's ready", so maybe it wasn't ready, but it didn't change things.

So is there anything that the local wiring points to a problem, or if not, and indeed even if, what's the secret to get the phone support people off their "plug in the cable in again and wait 3 hours" script and organise the engineer visit that I actually was expecting yesterday.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Getting a quick start means that VM know that there was a working connection recently at that address.

Can you post up photos of the wall boxes, connectors etc you are connecting to.

As its a new Hub - it will only work when it has been "activated" on the account. If its connected properly and is flashing green - then that might not have happened properly. Or there may be a problem on the network.

Call the equipment activation number on - 0800 953 9500 – you will need the serial number off the barcode sticker and also your account number,

Call now but at 08.00 (Mon-Sat) or 09.00 (Sun) for the best chance of getting through quickly.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Getting a quick start means that VM know that there was a working connection recently at that address.

Can you post up photos of the wall boxes, connectors etc you are connecting to.

As its a new Hub - it will only work when it has been "activated" on the account. If its connected properly and is flashing green - then that might not have happened properly. Or there may be a problem on the network.

Call the equipment activation number on - 0800 953 9500 – you will need the serial number off the barcode sticker and also your account number,

Call now but at 08.00 (Mon-Sat) or 09.00 (Sun) for the best chance of getting through quickly.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Below are the photos, the other white wall box looks the same from the outside, but has no filter in it, just the bare wire, but would be identical without it, the support bod this morning at 8 did say it was activated last night at 6pm, but neither he or the person last night asked for the serial number of the box, just the account number.

An engineer visit is booked though for monday now, so whilst it would be really useful to have it working before (the 4g back up is not great and with the sat dish on this place also out of alignment and too high compared to our ladder to adjust, it's even slower when you have to stream the olympics)

photo_2021-07-31_18-24-29.jpgphoto_2021-07-31_18-24-22.jpgphoto_2021-07-31_18-24-11.jpg

Hi FredChicken,

Welcome to our community and thanks for posting. Really sorry to hear about the confusion about an engineer being booked, then this being changed to a quick start delivery.

Looking at the pictures you have included everything looks to be fine with the set up. Can we ask since you last posted on Saturday and I'm unable to locate your account details to check for you, have you managed to speak to the Quick start team to get the services activated?

We have included a link here with a self help guide, and video to make sure the set up is correct here

Please let is know so we can assist you further.

Kind regards Jodi