cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Virgin Media wall socket but old screw cables with isolator and splitter

gdre2022
Tuning in

Hello,

as per subject, I've connected the the push in cable with the black tag at the end into the white box (splitter, I guess) and I'm stuck with the other end with the red tag marked 'Wall socket / Push in don't screw', but the other end of the existing Virgin Media cable already has an isolator extension to which has been attached a 2-splitter/attenuator as in the pictures. All the connections in the existing coaxial cable are the screw-in type (this house had VM up to 2.5 years ago) and the new ones from VM are push-in. See pictures.

This is the old existing VM cable with the isolator bit and the splitter attached to itThis is the old existing VM cable with the isolator bit and the splitter attached to it

Above the existing configuration, original VM cable with a screw-in isolator extension and then a splitter screw in extension. Following picture of the disconnected isolator:

This is how the isolator bit connects to the existing cable (screw-in)This is how the isolator bit connects to the existing cable (screw-in)

Following, picture of the splitter and how it connects:

Existing splitter (side)Existing splitter (side)Existing splitter 2 (front)Existing splitter 2 (front)Existing splitter (screw-in connection))Existing splitter (screw-in connection))

The following picture shows part of the kit I received today: the white (splitter) box to which I've connected the black end of the cable (both ends are push-in).

new kitnew kit

What to do next? Should I get rid of the two extension bits (the old isolator one and and the old splitter one) as the new kit already seems to have an isolator and a splitter and then connect the red end of the cable from the new kit (last picture) to the existing cable that comes out of the wall using an adaptor? And am I correct in assuming I need a coaxial adaptor that has a female screw-in at one end and a female push-in at the other end, as both the old cable and coming out of the wall and the new push-in from the kit (red end) are males? Is it a common thing and can I find it at local shops cheaply? Or could I simply push in the red end of the cable from the new kit to the green female end (one of the two) of the existing splitter/attenuator? And if so, wouldn't I then have two isolators and two splitters/attenuators?

1 REPLY 1

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Use all the old bits except the old splitter and connect your new splitter to the cable