cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Virgin Media wall socket at installation

NebTheThird
Tuning in

I've just moved into a property and I'm trying to set up my Virgin Fibre broadband and TV package. I'm at the stage where I need to plug the isolator cable into the Virgin Media wall socket. However, I do not have any of the specified wall sockets available. I was told when purchasing the broadband and TV package that fibre was available here and already in use, so am wondering if I'm missing something.

See attached photo of the sockets I have available. Please help as I have no internet and I need it for work urgently. Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

-tony-
Alessandro Volta
just plug each cable in in turn and see what happens - if you get a white light on the hub after a while you should be good to go assuming you have activated it and the levels are ok
post the levels if it works - if it is live and you are noy going to use the second cable it could do with capping or removing

Tony.
Sacked VIP

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Were you specifically offered a self-service "Quick Start" setup? That would usually mean that a previous resident has had VM service at that address.

If you can't find any wall-connection points then you might need a manned engineer installation. Are there any external boxes that you can trace the cabling from?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi, 

Yes we were offered self-service "Quick Start" setup and have been told by the previous occupants of the flat that VM Fibre is installed and was in use.
There are no wall sockets for VM, NTL etc or boxes/cabling that we can see externally.

The sockets we have inside are the TV Arial, FM, normal electrical sockets, a phone line and then 2 wires from an unmarked socket leading to 2 forward path attenuators (1 6dB and 1 3dB). There is also a small round hole surrounded by a plastic rim, just below the above mentioned sockets.

Any ideas? Appreciate the help 🙂

Posting pictures of these sockets will help 🙂

TV, Phone and Broadband using the Hub 3.0 in modem mode, with a Newifi D2 running Openwrt (FTTP/RFoG).

Picture attached 😊 thanks!

16330125304867641092812344427025-min.jpg

I'm guessing here, but the longer cable looks to be for TV and the other for broadband. But hopefully by now you've figured that out.

Although you could use either but they've attached attenuators for a reason so as above ask for a manned install, wait for another forum member with more knowledge than me, or if you wait a bit longer, VM staff should pick this up.

TV, Phone and Broadband using the Hub 3.0 in modem mode, with a Newifi D2 running Openwrt (FTTP/RFoG).

-tony-
Alessandro Volta
just plug each cable in in turn and see what happens - if you get a white light on the hub after a while you should be good to go assuming you have activated it and the levels are ok
post the levels if it works - if it is live and you are noy going to use the second cable it could do with capping or removing

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums @NebTheThird, and a very warm welcome to you!

Can you please confirm if you've been able to complete the self-install since your most recent post?

Have you been able to take on the suggestion issued by @-tony-?

For further assistance, you may want to utilise this link 

Kindest regards,

David_Bn