cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Virgin Media Wall Socket

EthJ
Joining in

Hi there.

I received my broadband kit today but sadly I'm unable to use it right away due to the lack of a virgin media wall socket.

I currently reside in a rental property, so I assume that I'll need to get in contact with my landlord first to make sure they're happy about someone coming out to install one for me?

15 REPLIES 15

Corey_C

Hi EthJ,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Community Forums.  Sorry to hear your install hasn't gone as planned. Yes, we would advise getting permission first.  Let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
Corey C

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@EthJ wrote:

Hi there.

I received my broadband kit today but sadly I'm unable to use it right away due to the lack of a virgin media wall socket.

I currently reside in a rental property, so I assume that I'll need to get in contact with my landlord first to make sure they're happy about someone coming out to install one for me?

if Vm's system has allowed a self install there has been an install there in the past - they know no more than that and internal boxes may have been removed for whatever reason but it would seem reasonable that permission has been granted previously so may not be needed

however some checking on your part of what is or is not there may be useful

not all installs have an internal box

start outside and look for the external wall box - 6" square ish usually on wall facing road or pavement - brown or grey usually - follow any cables that come from it and go inside - if there are non look inside opposite external box as they may just have drilled through wall - as said it may just be a cable rather than an internal wall box

if you find a cable you need one of these to attach the cable that came with the quick start kit

https://www.diy.com/departments/tristar-data-cable-coupler/571706_BQ.prd

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @EthJ

Just checking in to see if you were able to obtain permission for your self-installation? Did you also try following @-tony- ' s advice regarding finding a cable rather than an external wall box?

Please do keep us posted on how you're getting along and let me know if there's anything else you need.

Best wishes,

Serena

Hello there,

Sorry for the late reply but I'm still waiting on my letting agents to get back to me about my landlords decision...

Thanks for the helpful advice so far. I should make mention that this property has a very old looking NTL wall outlet patched in, that's where it would ideally go if it gets approved of.

@EthJ wrote:

Hello there,

Sorry for the late reply but I'm still waiting on my letting agents to get back to me about my landlords decision...

Thanks for the helpful advice so far. I should make mention that this property has a very old looking NTL wall outlet patched in, that's where it would ideally go if it gets approved of.

The NTL socket should work.

Could you post a picture?

IMG_20220413_102628.jpg

Here's the wall socket in question! Also, I am happy to confirm that the landlord is fine with having the new wall socket installed.

That should work, as long as it's still connected.

Hopefully it is. Now I just need to call up for an engineer to visit in hopes to fit it in, right? My landlord has given approval of the installation.

@EthJ wrote:

Hopefully it is. Now I just need to call up for an engineer to visit in hopes to fit it in, right? My landlord has given approval of the installation.

Why don't you fit it yourself?

The HUB and supplied cable will fit the NTL box.