cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New set up - do I need the box with wires that splits cable to coax and ethernet connectors to the Hub 4?

pdampier
On our wavelength

So I had an existing install where the Hub 4 was connected directly to coax. I run the Hub 4 in modem mode connected to the router via ethernet to port 1 of the Hub 4. My Tivo boxes just plugged directly into the home wired ethernet.

With the new self install kit there is a new cable that has a box with one end the cable comes out to the wall outlet and the other end has a coax connector AND an ethernet jack. Instructions are to plug the coax AND the ethernet jack into the hub 4? What does this do?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Many customers have the Hub in one room connected to one wall point and the Virgin TV box in another room connected to a different wall point - both by a single coax cable.

As long as you have a valid coax connection from wall points to the Hub and to the 360 box then it's whatever works for you!
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
All Virgin TV boxes need a coax connection for Live TV. The 360 boxes (and V6 boxes) also need a home network connection either via Ethernet or WiFi.

So cabling that you get for a new install usually is designed to split the coax from a single wall point in two so you can connect both the Hub and the Virgin TV box to the coax cable.

pdampier
On our wavelength
Ok so I don't need to use that at all if currently my internal cabling feeds ONE coax to the Hub 4 and ONE coax to the 360 TV Box and the 360 TV box is then connected by Ethernet to the switch on my 3rd party router (since Hub 4 is in modem mode)?

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Many customers have the Hub in one room connected to one wall point and the Virgin TV box in another room connected to a different wall point - both by a single coax cable.

As long as you have a valid coax connection from wall points to the Hub and to the 360 box then it's whatever works for you!