cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New router - username & password

Simon321456
Tuning in

Finally lost patience with the god awful Hub 3 and changing to a decent router 

How do I find the username and password for my broadband account?

There is of course no way to contact anyone at Virgin. Because that would be ridiculous 

Anyone able to assist pls?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@Simon321456 wrote:

Great, thanks. I'll give that a try now. 

It's a TP-Link Archer VR900

Virgin Hub is in modem mode but router is saying no signal and to check cable. Will have a look at settings now 

There's no specific LAN port on the hub I need use is there? 

I believe that you can use any of the hub 3's ethernet ports, just make sure that your router is the only thing connected to the hub.

You also need to make sure that the cable connects into the port closest to the power socket on the TP-Link, as that's the WAN port.

You need to configure the TP-Link to get it's WAN IP address via DHCP / Automatically allocated - change it from PPPoE or whatever it is currently to the DHCP option.. 

you also need to make sure that your TP link is fully booted and connected up to the hub via cable before powering the hub on - assuming you've connected the ethernet cable from the hub to the correct port on the TP-Link, just reboot the hub and it should kick into life. 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
there is no username and password for cable

And neither can you change the Hub for a different router, at best you can put it into modem or bridge mode and attach your own third party router to it.

As @Anonymous says you are probably thinking of PPoA connections which use a username and password combination to authenticate, cable connections (DOCSIS) don’t do it that way.

Ah ok, I wasn't aware of that. Thanks! 

I am indeed putting the hub into modem mode in order to use a better router

The router is asking me for username and password, so presumably there are other settings I need apply. Is there a guide as to doing this anywhere? 

Anonymous
Not applicable
no its dhcp. no settings needed. you only need a username and password for DSL based routers.

What router do you have

Virgin Hub is in modem mode but router is saying no signal and to check cable. Will have a look at settings now 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Infacat looks like it can work with cable. but you'll need to set it up as  the manual dells you. not using the modem in it

@Simon321456 wrote:

I believe that you can use any of the hub 3's ethernet ports, just make sure that your router is the only thing connected to the hub.

You also need to make sure that the cable connects into the port closest to the power socket on the TP-Link, as that's the WAN port.

You need to configure the TP-Link to get it's WAN IP address via DHCP / Automatically allocated - change it from PPPoE or whatever it is currently to the DHCP option.. 

you also need to make sure that your TP link is fully booted and connected up to the hub via cable before powering the hub on - assuming you've connected the ethernet cable from the hub to the correct port on the TP-Link, just reboot the hub and it should kick into life. 

I recall using old model VR900 v1 (white casing) for Talktalk fibre. Its really designed for Openreach.. may work for cable but will be a lot more work.

sayekm_0-1613247465062.png

----------------------------------------------------------
M125 Volt powered by TP-Link Archer AX55

And we're good to go! Thanks for all your help people, much appreciated

All working. Now to see if there is any benefit

I have an office in my garden that's connected via homeplugs, so the next IT related job is running ethernet cables all the way back to the router. Eek