cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New internet install

TheHandysides
Joining in

Good Evening to you all,

So we had an engineer round to install our new internet and I was expecting some sort of socket internally. 
What I have is a hole in the wall with a black cable coming in and then 2 filters onto the router!

Not very ascetically pleasing, is this correct?

I would post a picture but unable to see where to add pics.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hey @TheHandysides,

Welcome to the community and thanks for your post.

I'm really sorry that the install engineer hasn't done the job to your satisfaction and they should have installed a socket on your wall for the outdoor cable to feed into. As stated by  @Z92, we could arrange for a socket to be installed but it wouldn't be classed as essential and as we are limiting our engineer visits to new installs and service faults to help keep our customers and staff members safe at the moment.

Also as @Z92 asked what is on the other end of the cable? Has it been attached correctly on the other end, are you having any issues with your services at the moment?

Regards

Steven_L

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

47 REPLIES 47

Z92
Trouble shooter

There a picture of a camera above the part where you type text into your message. 

Or you can use an external service such as https://imgbb.com/

There should ideally be an internal socket, but sometimes it's just a cable - for when they have run out of sockets! 

CB3B9496-5657-47C6-B3AA-C78515423E64.jpeg

Yep I missed that 😂 despite looking!

I don’t really think it is acceptable just because they ran out. If turning up to a new install they should have it available surely.

Yes, but if they refuse the install they have to pay compensation and they really don't want to have to do that, plus do you really want to cancel the engineers appointment and your broadband just because they don't have a socket available? 

Sky TV is provided in much the same way - just a cable. 

If you don't like it, they will install a socket, but it'll be classified as low priority. 

Can we see the other end of the cable though - need to see if they have installed an appropriate isolator. 

Hey @TheHandysides,

Welcome to the community and thanks for your post.

I'm really sorry that the install engineer hasn't done the job to your satisfaction and they should have installed a socket on your wall for the outdoor cable to feed into. As stated by  @Z92, we could arrange for a socket to be installed but it wouldn't be classed as essential and as we are limiting our engineer visits to new installs and service faults to help keep our customers and staff members safe at the moment.

Also as @Z92 asked what is on the other end of the cable? Has it been attached correctly on the other end, are you having any issues with your services at the moment?

Regards

Steven_L

Thank you for the reply. @Steven_L

I will attach a picture ASAP but basically the black cable goes into a white cable with filter and then another type of small filter. 
The cable isn’t particularly flexible so hard to position the router.

we seem to keep getting drop outs but don’t know who to contact and also not getting the speeds we were

EF24A996-9952-4A65-8CF7-72545BC82DDC.jpeg

D3B249CD-CC6B-4EB7-85FA-D237E4EB5D6E.jpeg

As I am writing this I have had to switch to 4G to be able to load the page and write.
There is an external box where the cable from the road comes to (a new cable was put in before the install day) and then it comes around the side of the house and through the wall.

67432106-B09B-4B29-96B8-7874E01402F0.jpeg