cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New internal connection box

Hayley1804
Tuning in

We have an old telewest connection box inside the house. I.E where cabling comes into the house.We have a phone and house alarm plugged into it. 

The box is really old (as I said has the telewest logo on it) Is this generic thing or would I need to get a Virgin engineer to change it to something newer. 

11 REPLIES 11

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The boxes are the same, just with a different supplier logo. My really old one is NTL. Still working after many years. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Sorry probably wasn’t very clear. We want to replace the old telewest connection box for a new one. Can we buy those anywhere? 

thank you

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You can possibly buy the plastic box on e-bay, but you do not want to replace the inner components, it may affect your connection. VM might replace the box for £25, best wait for a VM staff member to get to your post. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

@Hayley1804 wrote:

Sorry probably wasn’t very clear. We want to replace the old telewest connection box for a new one. Can we buy those anywhere? 
thank you

Is the phone socket your only telephone connection in your home? If so, that would be your master socket. In theory, it should be VM modifying that particular socket.

Also worth keeping in mind that at some point (probably sooner rather than later) VM will switch your phone connection from a master/wall socket to a 21CV phone connection from the back of the hub. At that point you would need your phone wiring modifying anyway to link your alarm connection from the phone socket on the back of the VM hub. You may end up swapping the socket now, only to have to make further modifications at some point in the near future.

@Hayley1804 wrote:

thank you

For clarity, are you referring to the intenal boxes as per image below at message #1

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/I-just-received-my-kit-but-I-cannot-find-...

or the external wall box as per image below at message #61

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Managing-Your-Account-Cable/Outside-box-cover-missing/td-p/3939...

It’s the internal box. The one in the image that has telewest broadband brand on it. The smaller of the two box, similar to what a phone plugs into. 

@Hayley1804 wrote:

It’s the internal box. The one in the image that has telewest broadband brand on it. The smaller of the two box, similar to what a phone plugs into. 

In which case comments at #5 apply.

Why do you need/want to swap it?

Is it your VM telephone 'master socket'?

Because it’s old and discoloured and we would like to replace it with a new one as my first question mentioned. I wanted to know if it’s a generic box we can replace it with or do I need to get VM in to change it and if we do we may ask them to move it to a lower position on the wall. 

Also just read #5 so not sure what we should do. Certainly don’t want to pay for VM to come out if it will be changed in the near future?