Menu
allen_james2
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

New installation from Road

Hello, I’m soon to be a new customer. My road has only just had fibre optic installed so we don’t already have a connection to house. My installation and connection date is a week on Friday. What I want to find out, but already can’t find how to contact Virgin, is where the connection in the road will be and where it will be on my property. I only want it in one place then to enter my property in a certain place. If they carry out this first part of the work without consulting me and it is in the wrong place for me what happens then?

Any help appreciated as I’ve been very nervous about joining virgin because of the customer service and this is my first problem at an early stage. Trying to get hold of anyone or emailing is impossible. Thanks in advance for any help. James 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: New installation from Road

Have you tried the pre-installation and delivery team - they may be able to advise - on.. 0800 052 1734

Calling early 08.00 is the best time.

Re where it goes - best plan is to make sure you are in situ on the day of installation and goes where you want it (within reason of course). Make sure it is done right first time.

Note you can also cancel in the first 14day without any £ penalty if you are not happy about anything.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
allen_james2
Joining in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks John, I’ll give them a call. I couldn’t find a number that didn’t just disconnect me.

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

you cannot choose where it will be in the road/pavement - there should be an entry point somewhere on the pavement outside your front boundary - thats where the cabe will start as far as you are concerned - from there it will cross your front garden and a box will be fitted on your front facing wall - you can have some say how that happens but they will want to take the easiest route - thats not always the most direct - so best to be there when they do the external work - thats a bit difficult as that can happen any day between now and the internal install date

if you dont have an access point in the pavement then i would say its not going to happen on the dates you have 

Tony
0 Kudos
allen_james2
Joining in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hello Tony, there isn’t an access point outside my house. I have had a text message from virgin stating that they need to do some work in the street before my installation date and that I don’t need to be there when they do it. As a new access point needs to be installed that’s why I want to discuss it with them before they install. This is the make and break as to whether I cancel my contract before it’s even started and change to broadband fibre with BT instead. 66mbps will be quick enough if virgin is too much hassle. Cheers James 

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

ahhh ok - then the advice above is about as good as it gets - strange that there is no access point - must have got missed or maybe some work covered it - afaik they need to liaise with the council to getting things done 

Tony
0 Kudos
allen_james2
Joining in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Doh, my mistake. There is a CATV access point outside my neighbours very close to my boundary, but the wrong side from where I want it as I have a tarmac drive and don’t want it on the surface in plastic trunking. I also want it to enter the house on the other side of the front of the house and don’t want cables tacked to the house everywhere either. Looks like it’s going to have to be a cancel and go for 66mbps fibre broadband instead, if I can get to speak to someone in cancellation. 

0 Kudos
Jodi_S
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi allen_james2,

Welcome to our community and thanks for posting. Its disappointing to hear you are cancelling due to the positioning of the entry position of our cabling, however we fully understand the reasons why if you do not want the cable running on the outside of the property.

If you wish to cancel your services with us before installation please give us a call on 0345 454 1111 and our team will get this request processed for you.

If you ever decide to come with us in the future you will be welcomed with open arms.

All the best for the future 

Kind regards Jodi

0 Kudos
allen_james2
Joining in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hello Jodi, thanks for the reply. I’m not 100% sure about cancelling as I have realised I can have the cable down my drive behind my new fence which was put up inside an old wall. Only thing is if the cable comes in where it meets the house the router will be in my living room and not my hall ( this avoids cables running around front of my house) what will the signal be like around my house which is a standard 3 bed semi? If the signal is ok upstairs (I work from home and need a decent signal) with the router in the living room I would be ok with it. It’s hard to know the answers to these questions until it is installed, which is the difficult bit. 

0 Kudos
daniel2004
Joining in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

The WiFi hub is powerful enough to cover your full house and in the rare event that it doesn't you can get WiFi boosters. Also from my experience Virgin's install technicians have been very neat and tidy with their work!

0 Kudos