cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New install garden & driveway

sewatkin
Joining in

Hi

I'm a new customer and have booked an install for Broadband (1gig).  We move into the house Dec 3rd and VM have booked a pre-install on Dec 4th with internal install/set up on Dec 9th.  Didn't know anything about a pre-install until we got a text saying they need to do external work (and we don't need to be there - but we don't own it yet so can't have them at the property before we complete!).

Problem is we've got driveway and garden to get across in order to run a cable to the house.  How on earth do they do that without digging up my perfectly good new driveway?!

Photo attached if it helps to give me any advice?!  The house is at the end of a cul-de-sac up by the white car.

Many thanks in advance.

IMG_6A2E860FEFB3-1.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I doubt Virgin Media will touch the paving. In fact it is usually avoided, and can mean a property is classed as non serviceable if there is no other cable route.

However what you could get is the cable run and tacked up that wall to the right. As long as there is some way of getting the cable from there to the house itself.

The work done before install day that you don't need to be there for will be on the road or pavement to provide the access point for the cable back to Virgin Media, and lay enough cable for the on property install itself.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I doubt Virgin Media will touch the paving. In fact it is usually avoided, and can mean a property is classed as non serviceable if there is no other cable route.

However what you could get is the cable run and tacked up that wall to the right. As long as there is some way of getting the cable from there to the house itself.

The work done before install day that you don't need to be there for will be on the road or pavement to provide the access point for the cable back to Virgin Media, and lay enough cable for the on property install itself.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Pre-install is just for a cable pull team to pull a cable from the cabinet to your boundary. This is why you do not have to be in for this visit.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Oh thanks so much.  So the cable doesn't have to be underground?  It can run along the wall?

(The wall meets up with the house so we can easily run the cable into the right place at the house)

Thanks again. 

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
It's underground to a property boundary.

After that it's whatever works best for you and Virgin Media, although it will be buried on a property wherever it can be safely and without permanent property damage.

Can I just add something? If the tee box in the street is on the left of the drive, yet I want the cable pinned to the wall on the right of the drive, how does the cable get across the driveway to start its journey up to the house?

Move the tee box? Is that an option?

Thanks again.  

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

A tee can be moved the main issue you are going to have is that VM will need permission to do the works and that takes between 6-8 weeks to be gained before that type of work can be performed.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks