Menu
WatfordML
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

New install blog & progress update...

Hi All So have recently ordered VM 350mb broadband and phone line.

Started a previous thread with lots of questions about the tee box, and where it was going to be https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/New-order-how-do-I-tell-Virgin-where-to-p...

Anyway, just to help everyone else, I am going to start a mini progress log, and so far am fairly impressed.

1 . Order placed thursday evening 29/11/2018.

2 . Phoned up friday morning, 30/11/2018, and spoke to a lovely person who booked the pre-site installation team for monday 3/12/2018 between 8-1am

3 . Pre-site installation team phoned today at 10.30, as I was on the phone to him he was parking outside my house, and the install team were already there

4 . He gave phone to the install team, and we confirmed position of where I want the the tee box

5 . Install team spoke to me and understood everything, and have said 3 days to get a permit from the council ( Watford )

6 . Got a text back from them already to confirm they know the exact position.

7. Was told the tee box would be cut in the pavement on either the 6th or 7th Dec. Roadworks.org confirmed this.

8. Friday 7th nothing has been done come 5pm 😞

9 .Phoned VM pre-install team - they told me they will make it a priority install - after reading the forums was a bit doubtful.

10 . VM construction team phone me saturday 8th Dec, to say that they are outside my house, and where would I like the tee box, and how would I like it to enter the garden etc. They took exact instructions as I wasnt at home.

11 . Came home to find they had done exactly as I had wanted, and exactly as described. Neat job. Pic below. I told them to leave the cable loose, and I will bury it later etc. Pic below shows where Virgin wanted to put the Tee box, and I mapped on where I wanted it, and sent the pic to the construction team on the morning of their arrival, and they did everything correct.

smalltee.jpg20181208_123345313_iOS.jpg20181208_123856574_iOS.jpg

12 . Now to await the engineer on 17th to connect it up inside the house....

R

Mehul

0 Kudos
WatfordML
Joining in
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: New install blog & progress update...

So just lifted up the Toby box cap, and seems that there is a green duct, but no cabling gong through it ?

Is this normal

Do I need another team to pull a cable to the cabinet ?

R

Mehul

0 Kudos
WatfordML
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

So , thought I would update the blog

• Installer turned up on monday.
  • Did a neat install, with just one hole through the wall on the outside.Cable tacked on the fence. In and out in about an hour.
  • Interestingly, there is no socket on the wall, next to the cable entry point internally. The telephone plugs into the back of the modem.
  • Nice and fast. No complaints so far, but it is only Day 4.

speedtest.JPG

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The majority of new installs now use VoIP telephone rather than the legacy POTS infrastructure, so although siamese cable is pulled only the BB/TV coax is actually used.

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports/Cinema (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, 350M BB, Virgin PAYG Mobile
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Why pull siamese cable but use only the coax?

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

Why pull siamese cable but use only the coax?

I assume this is all there is in the vans at the moment, particularly in areas like the OP's where customers with the legacy phone service may still require a re-pull.

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports/Cinema (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, 350M BB, Virgin PAYG Mobile
0 Kudos
WatfordML
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi All

I had forgotten about this thread. Anyway, install went perfectly, speeds are great. no problems at all. Forums are easy to use when things go wrong, but I have to say, it has been a fantastic experience all round from Virgin and its engineers.

Well done to Virgin

R

Mehul

0 Kudos