cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New install & construction delay

alexch87
On our wavelength

In September 2021 (i.e. over 5 months ago), I moved from our apartment in inner London to a property on the outskirts, and realizing I still had a number of months left on our Virgin Media (Broadband & TV) contract I opted to transfer our services.

In the beginning there were a few issues I was happy to provide the time for. I.e. Virgin said there was a duct blockage, which had to be sorted and they needed to obtain council approval etc, which they said takes from 6-8weeks. Now the duct blockage has been clearly fixed over 2 months ago (I can see drawstring has been laid in the duct), and every few weeks Virgin provide me a New Install date, only to call me up the evening before to tell me that it has to be pushed back again. This is incredibly frustrating as it has now happened 4-5 times already.

What is even more frustrating is that the excuse for the Install being pushed back changes every time they call me. First it was something to do with the install crew, then it was something to do with tangential water pipes near the virgin ducts (!?!), then it was laying extra cabling... Just madness. 

Ultimately, I don't believe a word Virgin is telling me anymore and I want to formally complain as it has become ridiculous. Whilst they have paused my billing, it is still not acceptable that in 2022, it has taken over 5 months to get this sorted when it is clear Virgin is serviced in my area (my adjacent neighbours have Virgin). Does anyone have any suggestions about how to get senior supervisors aware of this 

Every time I call them, I am promised a person will call me back with a full update on what is causing the delay, but as you would imagine, nobody ever calls back. I am recommending everyone I know to steer far away from Virgin if their property is not already set up. Thankfully I have managed to get at least one person to date (a family member) to listen to me 😄 Hopefully others can read this and stay WELL AWAY if you're not already set up.  

Ps. the dongle they've provided as a "sorry" is worth the plastic its made of....

16 REPLIES 16

alexch87
On our wavelength

Anyone? Even a Virgin Forum Member? 

goslow
Alessandro Volta

You'll get a response from the VM forum team usually within a day or two.

In the meantime, have a look through the multitude of similar topics on delayed installations on this forum so as to manage your expectations on what might happen in such cases. Sadly, you are far from alone with this problem.

Unfortunately, some VM installations at the moment descend into complete and total chaos and no one at VM is capable, or cares, about resolving these cases.

On a recent topic, one unlucky OP did manage to make direct contact with the sub-contractor doing the work and seemed to make progress by simply cutting VM out of the equation!

alexch87
On our wavelength

Ah thank you very much. Yikes... Doesn't sound promising at all! And yes - those posts paint an eerily similar situation. How can such a company be so poorly managed? I am shocked the market share that they have, but then again, it is an oligopolistic industry! Unless you go down the BT line - thank god I am on a rolling monthly contract, but seems I should just bring Sky on and make the most of the BT line... 

Hi @alexch87

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community. 

I am so sorry to hear about the delay with your installation and the customer journey you have received so far.

I have taken a look at things from our end and can see you have spoken to the team since posting and the dates were confirmed for you.

If you have any further questions however please do pop us a reply here and we will do all we can to help. 

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

alexch87
On our wavelength

Hi @Vikki_M I was told that the outside pre-pull team is to complete their works by COB today and that my Install Date remains March 3rd. However, it is 2pm and there has been no sign of the pre-pull team yet. I will be amazed if they do turn up and the date is not pushed back yet again... But I will (for the 5th time) give the benefit of doubt before updating you on any (lack of) progress. Thanks

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Re. VM’s installation process “omnishambles”- see John’s excellent precis in message 18 of this thread

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Multiple-Failed-Installations-zero-commun...

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks John - indeed, I have read that. I am someone who will (unfortunately) never give up, so the forum team members will have to just eventually ignore me or actually drive this to some completion. It seems this is the only route of hope as the telephone route is a dead-end (it has been 5 months with little if any progress). Cheers

Hi @alexch87, thanks for confirming that.

Did the work take place as planned or did the team delay this again?

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

alexch87
On our wavelength

Ofcourse they did not show up…. Lol. But thanks for asking. I spent 1hr on the phone to Virgin yesterday and apparently they are now sending a “priority site surveyor” on Monday to see what is causing the holdup… I have no doubt about the likelihood of whether they will show up either. It’s been 5months… what’s another week lol