cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New install: Hub cable doesn’t connect to wall socket

mbimmler
Tuning in

Hi,

we moved into this flat recently and were provided with a QuickStart setup as the flat had VM at some time before. We’re stuck at the step where we’re supposed to connect the cable with the red “wall socket” label to the VM wall socket (pictured - sorry, seems to be 90 degrees rotated bere). It doesn’t connect.

There was a kind of “terminator” (?) cap screwed onto the wall socket which we unscrewed, but we still can’t connect the cable end. Any advice on what we’re not getting?

Thanks

Michael

2D9A696B-2169-4C53-9281-65FADD60BB7C.jpeg

8BB43A77-8675-4373-8E6A-969E6CB51B99.jpeg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

asim18
Fibre optic

Looks like half the terminator cap is still lodged inside the socket. Not your fault, It should have come out along with the rest of the terminator cap, the manufacturers of the cap haven't used enough solder.

You need to grip the centre pin and pull it out. Do it carefully keep the other hand on the wall socket dont want to pull the whole thing off the wall.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

asim18
Fibre optic

Hi there, I can't see the photos yet, however...

If you removed a terminator cap from the socket, then you should be able to plug the Hub's cable straight in.

The cable they have sent you, does it have a screw type connector with a single pin in the centre?

Does the wall socket have a pin in the centre?

Hi,

thanks for replying! While the photos are approved on the forum here, I've also uploaded it here:

https://ibb.co/phRtzyv

I assume this is what you mean by pin in the centre of the wall socket?

The cable itself seems not to be screw type but does have a single pin as far as I can tell. See:

https://ibb.co/M6KqmTP

asim18
Fibre optic

Looks like half the terminator cap is still lodged inside the socket. Not your fault, It should have come out along with the rest of the terminator cap, the manufacturers of the cap haven't used enough solder.

You need to grip the centre pin and pull it out. Do it carefully keep the other hand on the wall socket dont want to pull the whole thing off the wall.

Amazing, thank you - that did the job. I didn't have the courage to pull out that centre pin without someone telling me that this is the right thing to do... Now happily writing this post from my functioning VM connection. Thanks again for the very fast guidance.

asim18
Fibre optic

Good to hear you're up and running, enjoy your connection!

Hi @mbimmler,

Apologies for the delayed response here. I am sorry that you had a little bit of an issue with the wall socket, but I'm so glad to hear that you've been able to get this resolved thanks to the help of @asim18.

Please do let us know if there's anything more that we can assist you with.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!