cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New hub 5

gidster
Tuning in

Hi I’ve just set up my new hub 5 but my WiFi speed is shocking.

this is what I’ve done,

I disconnected the white cable from my old hub which is a screw on type and put that onto the hub 5 which is screw on,so the cable that came with the box I’ve not used. is this correct? Does the new cable have to be used?
Also the name of the old hub as stayed the same on my devices even tho I’ve connected the hub 5 up,is that correct? Everything like the phones,tablets,cctv and PlayStation have just re-connected on themselves without asking for a password,is that correct?

The speeds im getting are about 35-60 mbps on my old hub I was getting 150-250 mbps

am I doing something wrong?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Easiest way is to alter the SSID name on the hub5 to the name of your previous hub. To do this go to 192.168.0.1on a web browser and logon to the hub, the password should be on the bottom of the hub, it’s the Administration password you need, not the WiFi password. In the settings you can change the SSID name and when saved best to reboot the hub.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

22 REPLIES 22

carl_pearce
Community elder

@gidster wrote:

Hi I’ve just set up my new hub 5 but my WiFi speed is shocking.

this is what I’ve done,

I disconnected the white cable from my old hub which is a screw on type and put that onto the hub 5 which is screw on,so the cable that came with the box I’ve not used. is this correct? Does the new cable have to be used?
Also the name of the old hub as stayed the same on my devices even tho I’ve connected the hub 5 up,is that correct? Everything like the phones,tablets,cctv and PlayStation have just re-connected on themselves without asking for a password,is that correct?

The speeds im getting are about 35-60 mbps on my old hub I was getting 150-250 mbps

am I doing something wrong?

Using your existing cable should be fine.

The new HUB would have a different SSID (Network Name) so you should have to reconnect all your devices to the new HUB.

Are you using any Pods or range extenders?

I'm going to hazard a guess that all your devices are currently connecting to an extender somewhere else in your home, which is still broadcasting the old SSID, which is why the download speeds are slow.

Yeah that’s what I thought

yes I have got a couple of extenders,one in the garage connected to the house so I can use WiFi in the garden.

lads got one for his PlayStation upstairs and think there’s one for the Cctv 

@gidster wrote:

Yeah that’s what I thought

yes I have got a couple of extenders,one in the garage connected to the house so I can use WiFi in the garden.

lads got one for his PlayStation upstairs and think there’s one for the Cctv 

You'll need to either:

• Alter the HUB 5 to the old SSID.
  • Alter the extenders to broadcast the new SSID and alter all your devices to connect to the new SSID.

I'd personally go with option 1.

Ok I’ll do that

how do I do that?😂

@gidster wrote:

Ok I’ll do that

how do I do that?😂

Access the HUB using 192.168.0.1 in a web browser.

Type in the password on the base (NOT the WiFi password, the other one...)

Access 'Advanced settings > Wireless > Security'

Alter the two sets of 'WiFi Network Name (SSID)' settings AND the 'WiFi password (security key)' accordingly (Under '2.4 GHz Wireless Security Settings' and '5 GHz Wireless Security Settings') and click 'Apply Changes'. 

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Easiest way is to alter the SSID name on the hub5 to the name of your previous hub. To do this go to 192.168.0.1on a web browser and logon to the hub, the password should be on the bottom of the hub, it’s the Administration password you need, not the WiFi password. In the settings you can change the SSID name and when saved best to reboot the hub.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Ok I’ve changed the ssid name to that of my old hub and done a reset.

the speed now is 80mbps very poor,it shouldn’t be worse than my old hub

@gidster wrote:

Ok I’ve changed the ssid name to that of my old hub and done a reset.

the speed now is 80mbps very poor,it shouldn’t be worse than my old hub

When you say a reset I assume you mean just rebooted the HUB?

If you access the HUB and navigate to the 'Connected Devices' section what speed are your devices connecting at?

What does this site report?

https://samknows.com/realspeed/

I reset the hub by the pin hole underneath the hub

sams website I’m getting 75mbps