cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New house old virgin cables?

Poppy121
Joining in

We have recently just moved into a new house we’re the previous resident must have had virgin media as the old wall fixture and cables remain. 
We do not wish to go with virgin media as we’re happy with freeview but plugging the tv cable (through the virgin bit on the wall) doesn’t seem to fit into the tv? Is this the wrong cable or as some other answers are in this community- does virgin not allow you to use their cables for other providers/direct to tv etc? 

If it is the latter, who takes away the old virgin stuff in our house? 

4 REPLIES 4

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You need to subscribe to VM to use the VM socket.  Nobody takes the sockets away, they are kept there for future use

back before everything went digital the vm cable used to supply most of the freeview channels.

I believe right now it still offers some channels that don't need to be decoded by the VM box but it is limited.

https://twitter.com/SeriousFamily

Gig1 | Hub 5 Modem Mode | Asus RT-AX86U | Asus RT-AC86U

dannylau
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@SonarUK wrote:
back before everything went digital the vm cable used to supply most of the freeview channels.

I believe right now it still offers some channels that don't need to be decoded by the VM box but it is limited.

You need a virgin box to decode any of the channels 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

as above for the TV - if you want the cables removed you can ask here - its easy to ask but getting it to happen can be difficult - give them chance and if nothing happens in a reasonable time frame remove them yourself - theres no voltage so no problem removing them

Tony.
Sacked VIP