Menu
Highlighted
cje72
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

New engineer installation: running extra cable?

I've ordered the Ultimate Oomph bundle, and have an engineer installation date of October 24th.

However, since my property last had Virgin service an extension has been built on the back, and the main lounge is now located there. As such I have a couple of questions:

1. I'd like my Hub and one of the V6 boxes to be located in the new lounge, so will the engineer be able to run cable from the original wall box, around the outside of the house to the rear, and enter there?  (access is available all the way around, to do this).
  2. I'd like the second V6 box to be located in the original lounge at the front of the house - does this have to be done within the house via Ethernet cable from the Hub, or is there some way that the original wall box and entry point can be used instead?  (Connecting the two via Ethernet will be difficult due to the internal layout, although I guess powerlines could be used).

Thanks in advance for any advice - much easier than trying to get through to Customer Services 🙂

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: New engineer installation: running extra cable?

1. Yes, no issue so long as the run isn't a silly length.

2. V6 needs both coax AND a network connection. The original wall outlet will do coax, as you suggest powerlines are a good idea for the network connection. However assuming the extension is on a different ring main, they might not give great speeds.

Just a thought, you'll have coax running from the omnibox to the extension for HUB, why not run armoured CAT5E in the same run? i.e externally?

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
cje72
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks.

1.  I haven't measured the length required, but its no more than 100ft at the absolute max.  Thinking about it, the Openreach engineer was happy to do the same thing a couple of years ago, so hopefully VM will take the same view.

2.  Forgot that the V6 requires both connections - in that case the original wall box can do the coax (there's already a terminated cable in the room), and I'll look into the feasibility of running Cat5 cable back round the outside, paralleling the new coax run.  Might that be within the remit of the VM engineer, or is it something I might need to appeal to his better nature on? 😉   Annoyingly I have a reel with about 250ft of 'ordinary' cat 6 cable in the garage, but I guess that is only suitable for internal use.

The rooms are on two different ring mains (I think - will check), but all run through the same part of the consumer unit.  I guess we can always do a speed check at the time.

Presumably any cable I buy will need to be Gigabit cable?

Thanks again 👍  - any other comments welcome

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Its a "better nature" job, so stock up on tea and biscuits

100ft is quite a run, theres no issue with the willingness of the techs in my experience, but signal levels can drop off over that sort of run. Engineer will check at install anyhow.

If the ringmains are on the same bus bar in the MCU, powerlines will be fine. Get a decent set if it comes to it. Id be looking at 1200Mbps ones as you will not see that IRL.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
cje72
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks again - my wife is very good at the 'better nature' side of things, so will get some cake on the go too 😄

Assuming we can appeal to his better nature, might he carry the required Cat5 cable, or will we need to have some on hand?

Yes, the ring mains are on the same bus bar (they're right next to each other), so hopefully that will be fine.  Will check out the powerline market (I have a pair of 1000Mbps ones IIRC, but they're in use, albeit only for a couple of printers; I have a 500Mbps one on my network too, so will need to check if that affects things, in case they all sync to the speed of the lower one).  Appreciate the point about 'real-life' speeds....

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Best to get your own cable - not Cat5 though. Get Cat6. If running outside make sure you get good exterior grade.
Dont forget if you buy the cable already terminated then the ends will be wider than the cable and so the entry holes need to be bigger.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos