cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer,connection process

falcon2
On our wavelength

I have a number of questions so I've posted them in a single thread ( all related to new customer things).

I'm currently with TalkTalk but want to sign up with Virgin when I move.

The current owner, who will become my landlord when he moves out, has Virgin already.

He is moving to his new home around 23/7 and I should be able to move in on or around 1/8.

1. As he's a customer, is it probable that I won't need any further installation work and I can just order the Quick Start kit?

2.Can I have that kit delivered to my present address in advance of my move so that I can set up on the move date? Presumably, if so, my contract would run from the date the kit was ordered?

3. I'm totally hopeless with technology, can I book an engineer for that date or, if I do have a go and mess up, can I then book an engineer?

4. I've got quite an old Bush TV. It does have Apps pre-installed and I get Sky Sports via Now without a problem. Will it be compatible with the Virgin bundle that gives me Sky Sports and BT sports ( I think it's currently priced at £72 per month, broadband and phone etc).

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Is the landlord taking the VM service to his new address - and is that going through the VM system?

That will need to happen (or the landlord cancels the contract at your address) before that  address shows as "serviceable" to a new customer on the VM system. Then you would need to sign up as a new customer (get a good deal 😎) and they would send you a quickstart pack - or you can book a Tech install.

TV should be fine as long as the TV can connect on an HDMI cable and can connect to the network on ethernet (best) or wifi (less good).

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Is the landlord taking the VM service to his new address - and is that going through the VM system?

That will need to happen (or the landlord cancels the contract at your address) before that  address shows as "serviceable" to a new customer on the VM system. Then you would need to sign up as a new customer (get a good deal 😎) and they would send you a quickstart pack - or you can book a Tech install.

TV should be fine as long as the TV can connect on an HDMI cable and can connect to the network on ethernet (best) or wifi (less good).

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

falcon2
On our wavelength
Thanks for the info.
I don't know the landlord's intentions as everything is done via a Lettings Agent.
I'd just assumed that he would cancel the contract at one address and then either stay with VM at the new one or go elsewhere.
I'll have to investigate!

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Check with the letting agent who the account holder is and who pays the bill. It may be them - in which case it should just continue - or if not - who becomes the account holder? Is it a single let - or a student house for example?

--------------------
John
--------------------

falcon2
On our wavelength
OK, thanks again.
I do know that the account holder is the owner and not the Letting Agent. The property is in a block of flats and is privately owned. I can't deal direct with the owner and the agent, a nice lad but very laid back about these sort of things.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
In that case all you can do is wait until the landlord moves or closes his account and the old address becomes serviceable again on the VM website. Keep checking that.

Or, possibly a VM person may respond and be able to advise whether the account is closed in a day or two when they get here

--------------------
John
--------------------

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi there faclon2,

Thanks for the responses and welcome back to the community.

To clarify has the previous tenant placed a disconnection notice as of yet?

Also have you set up a package to take?

Let us know,

Kain

falcon2
On our wavelength
Hello Kain,
The person in question isn't a tenant, he's the owner of the property. I don't know if he has informed VM of his intentions and neither does my Letting Agent. I've been told by the latter to wait until later this month when the owner's intention become clearer. Initially I was told that I could move in on 1/8, the owner would have received the keys to his new property the week before that.
I haven't set up a package yet and I haven't informed TalkTalk that I want to leave them. There has to be a continuous internet connection for my wife's work. On reading the info about VM it seemed that I could get a quick start kit and take it with me to the new property and the bill would start from the point at which it went live? I was hesitant because I didn't know if Quick Start would be appropriate. I think if it's just a question of plugging in according to instructions, then I'd be ok with that. I've no idea what the present owner would take with him with respect to any connection. I've no idea if he has the option for VM in his new property.
I probably started my discussion too early so apologies to all who have been/are trying to help.

falcon2
On our wavelength
I have further questions!

I thought this was going to be easy but....

1. I assume that I need to give Talktalk 30 days' notice? VM can't do this for me as the networks are totally separate?

2. I don't want to take anything from TT with me and so is getting a VM landline simple?

3. I would like a package that gives Broadband, VM TV, Sky Sports and BT Sports + phone. The one I've seen on the site is £72 per month. If there's a problem with the phone, is this package available without it?
Thanks

Hi there @falcon2

We would not give notice to Talk Talk, you would have to arrange this them, we also cannot comment on their cancellation policy I'm afraid. 

Arranging a landline would be done with us when you signed up for the deal, the agent on the sales team will be able to let you know prices and steps that you would need to take. 

You can also set up a number port should you need to transport a landline number from Talk Talk, though again you would need to discuss this process with Talk Talk. 

For all information regarding to deals and your account it would be best to call our sales team on 0800 183 1234 as they can advise you on any specific requirements for the property. 

Thank you.