Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

New customer, SIM not arrived, charged for activation fee

Hi all,

Hope you are all well and staying safe.

I am a new Virgin customer, never used their services or broadband before, but decided to join as there was a "Welcome offer" available for M100 Fibre Broadband Oomph and Oomph 5GB SIM for £29.00 a month for the first 12 months... Also there was a free activation fee and £0.00 QuickStart Delivery.

So, everything was going great, I received the broadband box on 25 June 2020 installed it and had no issues with it. 

My problem is that I still haven't received the Oomph 5GB SIM card (which is part of my package) by post, not have I received my contract by post (which is not much of a problem, as I have it online, but it was advertised that I will receive the SIM card and the contract a few days after the broadband box).

I was just charged with my first bill which was £86.00??? I understand that I am paying for my 1st month package of £29 and next month’s package. However, where did the additional charge of £28 come from after it was a free activation fee... and it was not advertised anywhere that I would need to pay something on top of my monthly package. 

And by saying "package" I was charged for a full package after I haven't even received the SIM. A bit frustrated with that, and I tried contacting Virgin but with no success so far... Can someone share their own experience with that? Was your first bill also at this price? When did you receive the SIM card?  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: New customer, SIM not arrived, charged for activation fee

Hi Bg36, 

Thanks for using the forums to get this issue looked into with your first bill, let me give you a very warm welcome to the forums!

You are correct, because we charge a month in advance your bill will be double your monthly amount, the activation fee is usually around £35. Can I ask if you were installed by an engineer or was the equipment delivered to you to self install?

Also, if there are no notes on the account about waiving the activation fee we will need to ask you for any proof that this was promised, any emails, texts or letters outlining this will be fine, if you have this proof then please keep it handy in case we need it later. 

Let me know if it was a manned install or not, thanks.

Megan_L

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Megan,

Thank you for looking into this for me.

I did not have an engineer, the equipment was delivered to me and I have self-installed it with no issues. When I signed for the contract, it was specifically advertised that it is a no activation fee offer (screenshot attached).

Free activation fee as you can see from the below screenshot is what was part of my order.

And also, to this date, I still haven't received the Oomph 5GB SIM card which is also part of the package I am paying for. 

Screen Shot 2020-06-17 at 16.06.01.png

Kind regards

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi bg36,   

Thanks for the screenshot of your order, this does confirm the free set up and so you shouldn't have been charged for it. Can I ask you to please check over your online bill here: virg.in/myVM so you can look over the itemised charges to see if you have indeed been charged the set up fee? If this is the case, I'll get that refunded for you no problem.

We can also get your SIM resent to you from here - just let me know if you haven't been resent one yet and I'll pop you over a private message and get that sorted for you.

Kindest regards,

Beth

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Beth,

Yes, I have checked my online bill and I can confirm that I was charged the set up fee. I can send you a full screenshot if needed over a private message.

Regarding the SIM - I haven't been resent one yet. 

Screen Shot 2020-08-04 at 17.32.26.png

Kind regards,

Biana

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks so much for popping back @bg36

I am sorry that you were charged the activation fee when your contract advised otherwise. 

I have located your account from your forum information; in order to assist you and get the credits added and a new SIM posted out, I'll need to pop you a Private Message so we can go through security with you. 

Please look out for the Purple Envelope and pop me a reply when you can. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos