cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New connection to new build house

Stubbette
Tuning in

We bought an old house which has never been connected to Virgin, but we know the street is connected, and neighbours are hooked up. This old property has been demolished, and all the (very old!) services to the site replaced and upgraded by the builder and utility companies.

We talked to the Virgin helpline about the required installation and have buried to the correct depth and labeled the required ducting under the lawn/drive from the grass verge where the Virgin supply is through to the house and into the plant room, where the pull cord is attached, ready to install the Virgin cable. 

At the time we were told that we could have the connection box installed internally - and space has been made for this where the ducting comes into the plant room. Then the coax cables can be taken from there to the AV distribution for the house. Both the builder and electrician have worked with new Virgin installations on new builds, so have made the connection/cabling access as easy as possible for the installers.

However, I've read that we might need an external brown box as well? That's not what we were initially told, and the ducting now terminates inside. We're in a relatively new house at the moment which was connected to Virgin in a similar way (sunken ducting to the white box inside, no external brown box) so I'm hoping this hasn't been a recent amendment?

Could some of the clever people in the know on here please direct me on how to proceed in order to avoid an external box? We're at first fix stage so ready to start our new Virgin contract so want to make sure we request this in the right way! 

Many thanks 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Christy_D
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi there

Let me help you with this

I'll pop you a private message to take a few more details and look into this for you

Thanks

Christy

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

Christy_D
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi there

Let me help you with this

I'll pop you a private message to take a few more details and look into this for you

Thanks

Christy

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Many thanks... 🙂

Just to let anyone know that's in a similar situation that Christy sorted someone to call and arrange the installation, so site visit on Monday and connection shortly after. Plus extra help on IR versus bluetooth on the new 360 box remotes! Wish I'd found this forum ages ago!

Good result! - Always nice to hear!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

We have a similar related question as Stubette and hope that Christy might be willing to pick it up if she has time. 

Like Stubette we also demolished and rebuilt a house. We plan to move there at the end of November from another house where we are already a VirginMedia customer. We want to take the existing VM contract with us on the day we move so that we can keep the same phone number and email addresses.

Some pre-work now needs to be done at the newly rebuilt house to make a broadband connection to the house from the main broadband service in the street. There was a connection point somewhere but we do not know where it is. I am hoping the connection point is known by Virginmedia, but if it cannot be found then we will need new connection point.

It would be great if someone in the community could kindly suggest the workflow and steps we should take. Thank you. It seems necessary to sort out the external connection in advance so that we can move our VM services easily on our moving day. Thank you.

We have installed two conduits for the outdoor broadband cable in the hope that one of them might be suitable. One starts where we think the connection point to the main broadband service in the street might be, and the other is routed through the garden in a straight line between the house and the road.

Many thanks for your help.

Just to let you know that I was contacted directly regarding this, and we had put in our own ducting as per the Virgin Media spec (used grey rather than green, which they were OK with, they just used green for their part), directly into the plant room at the front of the house, where all the electrical things are. This had a pull cord in, and they simply connected that to the nearby connection point on the verge outside and pulled the cable inside. They then routed the main box to the place we wanted it in the house. All very simple and no ugly brown box on the exterior wall!!! 🙂 

Stubbette

PS There was a really good "all bells and whistles" offer for new customers which was far better than our existing deal, so we took that offer as a "new customer" instead, also upgrading to the new box as ours is the old Tivo.