Menu
drt1710
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

New connection help please

Daughter just moved into a flat, got the setup box, with router etc.  But she can't work out how to connect it all up.  I can't get there to help, plus never had VM.

2 photos show what is currently in the flat.  Previous person in flat had VM, and service is apparently live.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

IMG-20190419-WA0000.jpgIMG-20190419-WA0001.jpg

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: New connection help please

second photo shows splitter - the cables coming from it will have been/should have been connected to hub and tv boxes - so connect those to new hub and any tv boxes - phone activation line and it should work

if she is only going to fit a hub and no tv box/s then unscrew the input cable to the splitter - the one coming from the wall box and just connect the single cable from the wall box to the hub again phone the activation line

removing the splitter will change the input levels and could take them out of range - if she can post them after its setup someone will comment

log into hub3 - 192.168.0.1 [or 192.168.100.1 if in modem mode] - DON'T SIGN IN, click - click router status [centre of screen] - and post the downstream and upstream figures - to see those press on the grey buttons/boxes labeled - upstream - downstream

i

Tony
drt1710
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks, she is there tomorrow, will pass it on and report back

Cheers

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Can you post another photo of that splitter showing the label.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
drt1710
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Will get another better photo tomorrow and post it back.  Thanks for the reply

0 Kudos
EightBall
Up to speed
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

That's a 4-way HDU. You're definitely going to want to remove that. If your daughter is taking TV and internet, she will have been sent her own splitter anyway. 

Removing that big silver box won't alter the signal levels. It's a booster of sorts that sends the signal to multiple bits of kit without affecting the signal levels. 

It also won't work in it's current state because it is switched off. The green light on the front isn't on.

Simplest thing to do is follow the cable from the white box on the wall, unscrew that cable from the big silver box and plug that directly into the super hub. 

As long as the modem has been activated, it should work fine. 

drt1710
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for the reply.  

She only has Internet, no TV, she has moved in today, and has currently got furniture and boxes in front of the wall socket lol, when she uncovers it, she will have a look with all the helpful suggestions above, and get the photo as requested above.  

I'm really pleased I joined here, really helpful guys, thank you.

Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

One more thing: open the termination box and see if an isolator has been fitted, if it isn't connect the isolator cable (black band end) to the box first then the coaxial cable to the isolator cable. It's all a push fit.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
drt1710
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thank you so much everyone, daughter is moved in, and Internet is working fine.  She will take a photo of the splitter as reqested and I'll post it later.

0 Kudos
drt1710
Tuning in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

IMG-20190421-WA0002.jpg

0 Kudos