cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New cable fitting? Or just an extension?

jpb784
Joining in

Hi 

I’m trying to move my TV and V6 box from next to the wall, where the existing Virgin cable comes into the house, to the other side of a chimney breast. 

I could drill the holes myself but I can’t find an extension lead that matches the combined tv and phone type connector and seen a couple of forum posts that say you can’t buy an extension yourself anyway, it has to come through Virgin installation only.

The cable I have appears to just an aerial adaptor on the end of it to go into the back of the V6 box but assume it is not as straight forward as getting a longer aerial line on the end of this?

If I have to go back to Virgin are they likely to come back and drill through each side of the chimney and install an longer TV/phone lead?

Hope that made some sort of sense! Thanks for any support out there that has an answer  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You cannot alter any VM cable yourself.

It will be a standard £25 call out fee for any work you need done.  It's quite reasonable, as it used to be £99.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You cannot alter any VM cable yourself.

It will be a standard £25 call out fee for any work you need done.  It's quite reasonable, as it used to be £99.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

That does seem very reasonable - and assume they’ll drill through the two side of chimney breast - they’re not much thicker than the exterior wall they had to drill through originally anyway?

j

@jpb784 you might want to drill the holes yourself anyway before the engineer turns up, at least you will know they are in the right place and no mess. Whoever turns up to do the job will thank you for it.