cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New but with probs

Bususer
Tuning in

Hello. I signed up last week. Before doing so I asked about what cable box was needed in the house. I was reassured that the old NTL phone box I had was sufficient. More research revealed it isn't and I will need an engineer to fit a new one. However I also want to stop the arrival of the self install kit. I am now worried I will have no internet because the old provider's service will go on the proposed delivery date of the self install kit - which won't work. 

I am unable to have time off work for this. How do I simply stop and cancel the whole thing please? I've tried online chat and they're unable to help or suggest what I could do. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

If you're certain that you wish to cancel, then your options are explained here.  Cancelling by phone should be quick but is often reported as a miserable endurance trial - try that first, but if there's any difficulties you may wish to cancel by post (use recorded delivery).  

Chances are the self-install kit (mainly a VM hub and cables) has already been despatched, and in that case you'll need to wait for a return equipment label, and drop it off at the nearest collection service.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

When is the disconnection of your old service scheduled for? You may be wise to delay that if possible.

You can contact VM on 0345 4541111 from any working phone - also try the pre-install direct line on 0800 0521734

Can you post a picture of the old NTL box you have?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I can't post a picture now I'm afraid but it looks like a telephone point / ethernet connection.

Molly_T
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Bususer, thank you for getting in touch and bringing this to our attention!
Sorry to hear of your difficulties with installation. If you wouldn't mind just clearing up a couple of details so we can best offer you support. 

1) Have you had a manned-installation booked in? - You will be able to view any appointments in your My Virgin Media account.

2) Are you looking to cancel your service installation completely?

Please rest assured you will not be charged for any delay to your installation. You canread more about our auto-compensation scheme here. 

All the best. 

Molly

Thanks for the reply.

I do not have an engineer installation booked because I was incorrectly advised I wouldn't need one. That "sold" the service to me. 

I simply want to stop it before anything else happens and continue with my current provider.

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

If you're certain that you wish to cancel, then your options are explained here.  Cancelling by phone should be quick but is often reported as a miserable endurance trial - try that first, but if there's any difficulties you may wish to cancel by post (use recorded delivery).  

Chances are the self-install kit (mainly a VM hub and cables) has already been despatched, and in that case you'll need to wait for a return equipment label, and drop it off at the nearest collection service.

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

if you are in when the hub is delivered simply refuse to accept it and it will be returned to VM and afaik the order/install will be cancelled - VM use yodel who usually give you a delivery slot and offer alternatives for leaving it in a safe place etc - that may allow you to refuse delivery by ticking a box

Tony.
Sacked VIP

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Bususer wrote:

I do not have an engineer installation booked because I was incorrectly advised I wouldn't need one. That "sold" the service to me. 

QuickStart self-serve installs are usually offered when there's previously been VM service at that address, and so the connection points should be available.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I agree but it appears they are not unless an NTL telephone point is all I need. But there is no typically broadband connection points

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

i usually add this

not all installs have an internal box

start outside and look for the external wall box - 6" square ish usually on wall facing road or pavement - brown or grey usually - follow any cables that come from it and go inside - if there are non look inside opposite external box as they may just have drilled through wall - as said it may just be a cable rather than an internal wall box

if you find a cable you need one of these to attach the cable that came with the quick start kit

https://www.diy.com/departments/tristar-data-cable-coupler/571706_BQ.prd

as you have a NTL phone point trace that back and see if you can find the external box that may give you some clues/answers

Tony.
Sacked VIP