cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New build with virgin box

Seananco
Joining in

I have moved into a new build property and was told Virgin fibre broadband would be available upon moving to the area and when I first saw my property I saw the brown Virgin media box outside so I though perfect but only to find out that when I moved in on completion day that the box has the wires inside ready but not connected to the ground cabling which I find really annoying now as I am still under contract for a quite a bit longer.

The other part that is annoying is that anyone who uses an Openreach connection is already setup and ready to go.

All I really want is an engineer to come and connect the box to the cabling so I can stop wasting my money paying for internet I cannot access is their anyone who knows how to get this up and running or someone I can contact?

6 REPLIES 6

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
You arent paying anything until the day the service is installed and activated and the contract period starts

Is you property a new build estate? If so the builders usually partner with VM or OR to install the infrastructure during the build phase. It would be unusual for them to partner with both - what do the builders have to say about that?

If I were you , dont bother chasing it. Let them play their games and let the installation play out. Do nothing. You pay nothing (£0) until a VM connection is installed and activated. And even from then (if it gets that far) you have 14 days in which to cancel - again with no costs. Or keep it if you like it in those 14 days

As you can connect to OR, do it now and just let the VM install run its course - if it ever happens you will pay nothing until VM's service is installed and operational. When it finally happens, you have 14 days in which to cancel it at no cost to yourself and keep the other service. Or, if VM is working to your satisfaction, keep it and cancel the other service (hence better if you took a 30-day OR contract).

FYI - Re. VM’s installation issues - see John’s excellent précis of the situation in messssage 18 here…
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Multiple-Failed-Installations-zero-commun...

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

I think you misunderstood my post I already have Virgin media for the last 9 months or so now after moving I still pay the monthly bill. So now I have moved to my new property which has the capability of getting Virgin fibre but it’s not fully wired up and the Openreach box is all setup for other providers I.e BT, Sky, TalkTalk etc 

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Have you gone through the moving/transfer process with VM to take your services from your old property to your new one? That should have identified if VM services were available or not. I think I recall some past topics about new build properties have mentioned that getting the VM equipment working in the street might lag behind installation of cables in the houses.

Yeah been in touch many times and keep being told they are dealing with it and that they're gonna call me back however no call ever comes back, if they could freeze the payments until it’s up and running then I would be happy to continue my contract but still radio silence on the matter, I’m really thinking about leaving instead and going to another provider.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
See this, not sure if its relevant - but it could mean you can exit the VM contract free of charge.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2022/04/clarifying-virgin-media-policy-on-exit-charges-for-off...

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Explained more here

https://www.virginmedia.com/legal/fibre-optic-services-terms-conditions/early-disconnection-fees

but with a few VM hoops to jump through to actually get it.